• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Homemade tool + bushings

mattyts

Registered
A simple scraper I ground from key steel and some extra long slimline bushings to give more room on the mandrel,also from steel

CAM00105_zps370b4563.jpg

CAM00104_zpsba122d37.jpg

clumsysod

GOBBY GIT
Graduate Member
Well done young man.
I just love to see all this toolmaking and inovation going on.
Wonderful job there.

mattyts

Registered
Thanks Clumsy,the tool dosent hold as good as an edge as HSS but is easily sharpened by running an oil stone across the top of the tool instead of taking it to the grinder :bwink:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I have to agree with George though it pains me to do so LOL:mooney2:
Good idea the extra length bushes.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Great Matt,

Usefull and a great help when turning. One of my finishing methods for non timber I found using the old tubed Brasso bushes made from Brass went black and sometimes contaminated my finished pen especially in white, to a lesser extent this happens for steel so I make them from stainless tube buying close to hole size and finishing to neat slip fit. The outside diameter is never critical since I use calipers only for sizing the blank. With timber any surface degradation on the timber is accentuated.

Many turners use spacers like yours and finish with Delrin spacers to avoid CA adherance and discolouring especially with light coloured timber like Holly etc.

When turning my greatest bugbear is length on the mandrel to keep whip when applying force to the blank but maybe you dont turn Snakewood or American Desert Ironwood timbers that are tough as some of our Aussie Burls or desert timbers. All turners years ago used to turn full pens on their mandrels plus some spacers and all of them used their fingers to ease the whip of the mandrel, I have enough injuries with various special chuck jaws etc to eliminate all danger if possible.

So your handywork enables you to choose which way for you and your technique, I have only worked with key steel fitting pulleys to motors found it to be quite soft, are there differing strengths of steel used in this material. Making a Bedan shape is exceptionally handy especially reducing to accept chuck jaws etc. I make mine from Tool Steel takes longer to grind.

Kind regards Peter.

mattyts

Registered
Great Matt,

Usefull and a great help when turning. One of my finishing methods for non timber I found using the old tubed Brasso bushes made from Brass went black and sometimes contaminated my finished pen especially in white, to a lesser extent this happens for steel so I make them from stainless tube buying close to hole size and finishing to neat slip fit. The outside diameter is never critical since I use calipers only for sizing the blank. With timber any surface degradation on the timber is accentuated.

Many turners use spacers like yours and finish with Delrin spacers to avoid CA adherance and discolouring especially with light coloured timber like Holly etc.

When turning my greatest bugbear is length on the mandrel to keep whip when applying force to the blank but maybe you dont turn Snakewood or American Desert Ironwood timbers that are tough as some of our Aussie Burls or desert timbers. All turners years ago used to turn full pens on their mandrels plus some spacers and all of them used their fingers to ease the whip of the mandrel, I have enough injuries with various special chuck jaws etc to eliminate all danger if possible.

So your handywork enables you to choose which way for you and your technique, I have only worked with key steel fitting pulleys to motors found it to be quite soft, are there differing strengths of steel used in this material. Making a Bedan shape is exceptionally handy especially reducing to accept chuck jaws etc. I make mine from Tool Steel takes longer to grind.

Kind regards Peter.
Thanks Peter,
before,i was using 2 x regular bushings but they tend to push each other from perfect alignment so these are perfect for the use I need them for,I dont use a CA finish so delrin spaces arent of any use,but I have the facilities to make them if needed

The keysteel was purely to test the tool out and as to not waste time grinding if the tool doesn't work as I need it...if I find it has its uses,I will most likely make the same tool from HSS and also make a handle for it

Matt

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).