• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Axminster AT1416VS Lathe

Jim

Grand Master
Well i changed my mind about buying the Jet JWL-1220vs and went for the Axminster AT1416VS .. I have no place to fasten it down at the moment as it is meant for the lean-to that i am having built .. The lad will be here on Monday to start with the outer wall, so hopefully it will be finished in a few weeks ... :thumbs:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Well i changed my mind about buying the Jet JWL-1220vs and went for the Axminster AT1416VS .. I have no place to fasten it down at the moment as it is meant for the lean-to that i am having built .. The lad will be here on Monday to start with the outer wall, so hopefully it will be finished in a few weeks ... :thumbs:

I thought you were getting it for Christmas???????????????????????????????:nonono::nonono::nonono:

Jim

Grand Master
The lad went on holiday and then had to finish his Sisters kitchen Mark, hopefully back on track from Monday, the door is bought, the roof i want is clear to allow natural light which we will be visiting the warehouse who sells it tomorrow, as he works 4 on 6 off i am hoping that within the next two weeks it will be finished ... :thumbs:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
First Name
Terry
The lad went on holiday and then had to finish his Sisters kitchen Mark, hopefully back on track from Monday, the door is bought, the roof i want is clear to allow natural light which we will be visiting the warehouse who sells it tomorrow, as he works 4 on 6 off i am hoping that within the next two weeks it will be finished ... :thumbs:

And there is Jims poor missus who can't afford some needles to do some knitting for the grandkids!!!!! LOL:funny::funny::funny:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Wise choice of lathe Jim I'm sure you wont regret it have fun when your all set up I'm sure you deserve it

Jim

Grand Master
This is the adaptor that took some finding to convert from a 1 1/4" thread to 33 X 3.5 thread so that i am able to switch chucks between the two lathes ...

33x3.5_adaptor.jpg

The adaptor carrying the chuck ...

33x3.5_adaptor_with_chuck.jpg

The lathe that all this was for ...

Axminster_AT1416VS_Lathe.jpg

The only gripe i have with this lathe is that there is no coupling to be able to bolt it to a bench ...

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I'll send George round with his supa glue There'll be no shifting after he has finished sticking everything up.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Brian I had a friend like George with the super glue Derek you may remember him well he wanted to put a musical instrument in a box the gravity fed type he brung it round to me to see if I could get it going huh there must have been half a bottle of super glue in it still nice box LOL

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
That reminded me to chase my mate up.
He don't got the metric thread in that size.
If we wanna go into production he will buy one but not for a one off.
Just as well you sourced one mate good luck, nice lathe by the way I am sure you will have many happy moments with it. (after George has stuck it to the bench):fart::fart:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
First Name
Terry
This is the adaptor that took some finding to convert from a 1 1/4" thread to 33 X 3.5 thread so that i am able to switch chucks between the two lathes ...

33x3.5_adaptor.jpg

The adaptor carrying the chuck ...

33x3.5_adaptor_with_chuck.jpg

The lathe that all this was for ...

Axminster_AT1416VS_Lathe.jpg

The only gripe i have with this lathe is that there is no coupling to be able to bolt it to a bench ...

f

If it's like mine Jim you have to make a template of the bottom of the lathe so that you can pick up the tapped holes of the base and then you can drill your bench and then screw the bolts up through the bench and into the lathe!!!

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
For a small lathe all I would do is get some rubber feet that's if your not going to use it to its limit of course

Jim

Grand Master
f

If it's like mine Jim you have to make a template of the bottom of the lathe so that you can pick up the tapped holes of the base and then you can drill your bench and then screw the bolts up through the bench and into the lathe!!!

That is the problem Terry, there are no holes at the bottom to fasten it down .. :down:

For a small lathe all I would do is get some rubber feet that's if your not going to use it to its limit of course

Woody, i just don't want the lathe to move while turning so i may just look at your suggestion, the intention for this lathe is Pens and Boxes, i will have the other lathe for anything bigger ... :thumbs:

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
Jim,
Like the lathe, seems a bit odd as I have the Axminster AWVSL and thats got legs fitted which would be easy to convert to bolt it down - I have not needed to yet as its pretty stable. :thinks:

With all these new lathes about, the country goin'er get swamped with pens :funny::funny::funny:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).