• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Casting Moulds

Jim

Grand Master
Made a couple of casting moulds using RTV Silicone Rubber, the large one is 5 1/4” square x 1 1/8” deep, the two smaller ones are about 5 1/2” x 1” x 1 1/8” deep .. They just need trimming now .. :wink:

silicone-pen-blank-mold.jpg

silicone-pen-blank-mould.jpg

George Watkins

Registered
First Name
George
nice work Jim

next time if you put some fine car filler paste or normal decorating fine filler around the melamine and then sand it smooth and seal with a spray on lacquer you'll get rid of those "tags" inside the mold where the silicon has crept between the melamine sheets.

This simple step will triple the life ecpectancy of the molds because as you remove blanks from them the resin will grab any texture or tags inside the mold and pull pieces of the silicon which will eventfully lead to an early breakdown of the silicon and the mold will be scrap.

George Watkins

Registered
First Name
George
Sorry I forgot to say!

the smoother you can make your wooden box in which your going to pour your silicon the smoother the finished mold will be and you will get a longer life and better blank release.
You can off course cut the tags off with a scalpel but you will never get it perfect and its amazing how fine a detail the resin will take from the mold.

Jim

Grand Master
Sound advice there George, i can reuse the form moulds so will use the filler before i use them again .. :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).