• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Some hairy oak blanks cut on the cross

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I regard Hairy Oak ( not related to Oak Trees we know) as the prince of timbers easy as to turn beautiful with the grain but magnificent cut across the grain, note this requires care and skill. This Aussie only grown timber in the north of Australia gets its name from the thick hair like bark and the beautiful medullary rays its colour varies with sapwood and where it grows. Drilling is tricky it can burn drills if not carefull.
When I first discovered it so long ago I found it exciting then cut on the cross looks like a Tigers skin, sometimes it finishes almost translucent.

Two pics from standing up on steps over the kitchen table SWMBO remarked looks like a spiders web.

Kind regards Peter.:rolling:

Attachments

• DSCF0004.JPG
    DSCF0004.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCF0007.JPG
    DSCF0007.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 35

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
It was Hairy that brought me to this thread, but after seeing the blanks i am not dissapointed mate. :bwink:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Peter you have just cleared up a long standing mystery for me...some time ago I owned a wall hanging letter rack made from a beautiful wood , no one could identify it ..you just have ....Thank You.

regards
Ed

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).