• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

UK & Ireland Woodturning Symposium

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Whilst not quiet as sceptical as Brian, :whistling: I had heard about it & wondered how much it was going to cost, these things have a tendency to be costly :nooidea:

First Name
Dan
From my understanding (and I may be wrong).. this has been organised by a group mainly Facebook 'woodhackers' and YouTube demonstrators. I dont know what the cost will be but it is my understanding that the majority of the costs will be covered by sponsors and retailers.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Another sales rip off and one I won't be going to, have fun suckers.

Sorry Brian but such negativity in the absence of many details about the event is beyond my comprehension. :rolling:

I have registered my interest on the website and will be withholding judgement until I know what it will cost, who will be demonstrating and exhibiting, and therefore what if any value I might gain from it.

In the absence of that information no one can with any credibilty judge whether or not it will be value for money.

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
Like Walter, I have registered my interest on their website and will also wait to see who is demonstrating and exhibiting and of course the cost.
However the event is being organised by three UK (and Ireland) based wood turners, Mike Waldt, Martin Saban-Smith and Steve Twydell from an original idea of Mike's. None of us know the cost yet. But I think most will be met by the dealers invited to attend.

Lets wait and see before making rash judgement :thumbs:

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
I personally don't give a sh**e if it is a crap show. It's pretty close to me and would be a chance to meet up with a few of the members of the forum who might want to attend.

Dont tell our Nigel

Jim

Grand Master
Another sales rip off and one I won't be going to, have fun suckers.

It would be interesting to know why you think people are suckers if they decide to make a visit Brian ..

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Wonderful advance notice all Symposium I have attended I have gained in mateship and experience. Why not come off the fence Brian tell us what you really feel mate.

Peter.

Baldy

Fellow
First Name
Graeme
Looking forward to it.. get to meet some like minded peeps. got plenty time to save my pennies and earn brownie points with the Wife..

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Tephy

First Name
Steve
WOW what a can of worms! I naively never expected this type of response.

From what I understand this is going to be just like the American woodturning symposium events where people meet old friends and make like minded new ones. I understand that it is NOT compulsory to buy anything and that most demo are free ( I don't yet know everything so have a lot to learn and free is a great way for me ).
It does seem as if the biggest part of the tab will be picked up by traders and an entrance fee charged to the public.

I cannot help but now wonder how many people took the attitude "Another sales rip off and one I won't be going to, have fun suckers." when some of my designs were incorporated into new vehicles at the NEC motor shows .. they always seem crowded though.

I hopefully will be going to Coventry mainly to see new items and free demos. Seeing a new tool or reading about it is never as good as getting it in your hands (IMHO)

:drool::winking::thumbs::whistling:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
You can ignore my comments, most of you do anyway, blame it on the illness kicking in.
I hate sitting ear doing nuffink, I had never heard of cellulitus until I started this job and then I thought it was something old people get, now I bloody got it, it ain't nice.
I can't help being a septic when I see these things cropping up, and the only demo I ever saw when they weren't trying to flog me their latest mustav was at York 1.
I hope you all have a great time and come away with full heads and empty wallets but I will pass on the day cos I am am still septic of it.

Tephy

First Name
Steve
You have my deepest sympathy Brian. I had cellulitis once in the arm from a dog bite, nearly as painful as kidney stones. Was in hospital for a week before they could get the infection under control. :praying: you get well soon:praying:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Thanks for your good wishes, I really don't know how I got it nor what I did to get it.
Had a sore foot / ankle for a few days when it swelled so I couldn't get shoe on I went docs who sent me to A&E.
They told me I had a broken ankle and cellulitus, gave me some antibiotics and anti inflammatory's and sent me away.
When swelling goes down they will plaster it, daytime telly is driving me nuts, cant drink with the pills, I need a good argument init?

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).