• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Using the Skew

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
Do you guys use the ckew chisel? I have had a few goes with it and had more mishaps than clean cuts. I know its all about practice so i will never give in, but it does get tiresome. :rolling:

Mattyd

AKA 'The Dundee Redneck'
Graduate Member
yes I do Tony... It has to be razor sharp though, and I tend to slow the rotational speed down a bit. I find it good for flattening off, after bulk material removal with a gouge.

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
I tried using it when making pens Matty, but the amount of blanks i ruined attempting fine cuts. Its the dig ins that hurt me the most, and most of the time they are to deep to be able to carry on with the turning. :rolling:

The Wood Bucket

The skew is very hard to master (i would not say I have mastrered it yet). But once you learn to use it correctly it will be one of your favorites. I find raising the toolrest helps. I do not slow the speed down. And only use the center 1/3 or so for most things. They are a lot of good youtube videos on proper use of the skew. Keep practicing.

ataylor

Registered
First Name
Andy
And only use the center 1/3 or so for most things. They are a lot of good youtube videos on proper use of the skew. Keep practicing.

That may be one of my problems, i tend to use the edge of the tool, maybe that is why i have the dig ins? Now my head will be working overtime till i get back into the shed. :whistling:

Jim

Grand Master
Without doubt Tony, the skew is the most daunting tool in the box, but also the most rewarding. As TWB states using the edge of the skew is a nono. Over time and with plenty of practice you will pick up the skew with the same confidence as you have with any other tool. As Matty also says, make sure that it is a sharp as it can be. :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).