• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

JIG - Find the absolute centre every time

Treeesa

Graduate Member
First Name
Andy
Finding the centre of a blank without putting in a small drill bit first is particularly important for segmented blanks that will show any errors can be quickly solved using the trick.

* Put a bit of plasticine onto the drill bit
* Put in a very small drill or a needle if you can find one ( I couldn't!)
* Run the drill and gently touch the small drill bit with a file, spanner or anything with a straight edge
*This will now show the centre of the drill bit in the chuck
* Bring the workpiece into line and clamp

There may be other ways but this one works for me

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 181
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 184
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 185

Treeesa

Graduate Member
First Name
Andy
The plastic bottle is in the distance and looks like it's touching the plasticine but it's just an optical illusion - couldn't have done it if I'd tried

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Interesting Andy but if you use lip & spur bits with a sharp centre point you don't need to do that.

I was just about to say that Bob or if you haven't got one do what we used to do and nd I still do just touch the wood lightly with the drill running and the mark will show how close you are to the centre then make your adjustments to te cross vice as needed

Treeesa

Graduate Member
First Name
Andy
Looks to me like a bit of a faff to do something that could easily be done just by lining up a centre drill or a pointed rod held in the chuck. But each to his own.

The tip comes from engineering where the accuracy needs to be far higher than pen turning and you can get within a couple of thou using a needle - it was aimed at those who do segmenting and want to be at the absolute centre to avoid spending hours making a blank only to see it turn off centre. But you're quite right when you know it all you don't need any tips

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
I agree that it's one way, if it works for you then continue to do it.

Looks to me like a bit of a faff to do something that could easily be done just by lining up a centre drill or a pointed rod held in the chuck. But each to his own.

Just what I thought when I saw it TBH Walter. But I'm sure Andy has perfected it and if it works then it's right for Andy..

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
Just drill blanks using a lathe & chuck, the centre point is there auto with no hassle

That were you Wong it will very likely be off centre if it a square blank that not been cut 100% square

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
No way I know it all or think I do Andy, I just think there are easier and more reliable methods such as those I described. If it works for you fine. No need to take the hump if it doesn't suit everyone.

They are not more reliable you should never really use centre drill to line things up it not 100 % accurate the method above is

Treeesa

Graduate Member
First Name
Andy
No way I know it all or think I do Andy, I just think there are easier and more reliable methods such as those I described. If it works for you fine. No need to take the hump if it doesn't suit everyone.

Walter, no offence taken but perhaps I should have said if you can't centre punch the blank to be be sure of getting the pointed rod centred then this will allow you to find the absolute centre.

Truth is this is a production tip that speeds things up by having to only open the chuck once. Over one hole it may not be needed but try 50 holes in different locations- I'd be making the tea while you were still faffing with your rod and fiddling with your chuck

It's alright for you buggars that retired - I need to save every minute :funny:

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
That were you Wong it will very likely be off centre if it a square blank that not been cut 100% square

I agree although a two jaw pen blank chuck will limit that. It is also dependent upon the accuracy of and the amount of play in your tailstock which on woodturnng lathes is not always that wonderful.

Thanks for the link Alex. I was aware of these tools but I still think it is way too much faff for drilling pen blanks, even segmented ones. And it won't stop your drill running off and following the grain which is one of the biggest problems with wooden blanks.

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
I agree although a two jaw pen blank chuck will limit that. It is also dependent upon the accuracy of and the amount of play in your tailstock which on woodturnng lathes is not always that wonderful.

Thanks for the link Alex. I was aware of these tools but I still think it is way too much faff for drilling pen blanks, even segmented ones. And it won't stop your drill running off and following the grain which is one of the biggest problems with wooden blanks.

Buy good quality drill and they will go straight

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).