• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Bog oak

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Whilst I was at the Cheshire game fair yesterday I picked up 6 blanks of bog oak which I know nothing about but only £1 each so bought them. Anybody got any experience of using them.

keith

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
It all depends on the quality of the wood if it is very stable then just treat it like any other bit of wood it all depends how it was dried out if it isn't very stable treat it with some dry rot treatment from any good DIY store that will harden it up for you or if its pen blanks thin super glue

Jim

Grand Master
The only experience i have with it Keith was not good, but back then i didn't realise that the wood was or could be a little tricky to work with, but it was enough to never try it again ... :sob: Thou i have seen some great looking pens made from the wood, as Woody states it depends on the grade you bought, mine must have been very low stuff ... :nooidea:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Same advise as always, extra sharp tools fine cuts, you will love what you turn with it.
I have had some really coal black bog oak old as time itself.

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Thanks gents. It looks really solid. I'll knock something out in the next few weeks.

keith

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
With a bit of luck I'll have one done in 3 weeks. Would be sooner but work keeps getting in the way

keith

Jim

Grand Master
With a bit of luck I'll have one done in 3 weeks. Would be sooner but work keeps getting in the way

keith

Sorry Keith, but that is a very poor excuse .. :rant: More likely is you will be dragging Lorraine up those mountains looking for slate .... :whistling:

walshjp17

I've done three pens with IBO and all have turned out quite nice. I suggest using any finish other than CA. You want to feature the Bog Oak and have it look like old wood. Using a CA finish makes it look plastic.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Shellac for Bog Oak French polish Button polish all same thing try it, it works well.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).