• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

For your eyes only Jim

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
I was given a blank by Jim when I paid him a visit and the pre condition was That I had to show him it hence the daft title!!!
Jim thought the wood was Beech but sorry Jim it is Ash!!!!
Because Ash is a light colour I thought I would colour the rim to see if it would give it a "lift".
At first I tried using ebonising spray but I then took it off as I deemed it too dark for the Ash. The second attempt is a mixture of coloured spirit stains to give a rainbow effect and then given a coat of acrylic sanding sealer and then a coat of gloss lacquer.
The gloss has to be burnished tomorrow as I have to leave it 24hrs to harden off!!!

The size is 300mm x 30mm (12in x 1 1/4in)

Attachments

• 001 (325x286).jpg
    001 (325x286).jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 002 (500x216) (500x216).jpg
    002 (500x216) (500x216).jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 37

Jim

Grand Master
Well there is no surprise here Terry, i just knew you would make that blank look good. Folks this blank had a very large bow in it so it was not an easy task .. Beautiful job Terry ... :bwink:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
First Name
Terry
Well there is no surprise here Terry, i just knew you would make that blank look good. Folks this blank had a very large bow in it so it was not an easy task .. Beautiful job Terry ... :bwink:

Thanks Jim. I think I lost about 36mm on the diameter and I wouldn't like to guess on the thickness. I know I had to turn it at about 500rpm to begin with until I got some semblance of shape!!!!

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
A nice platter Terry it don't need gloss to make it shine, it does that in its own right.
Have undercut the rim?
Interesting grain pattern and I can see why you coloured the rim for the piccy.
Well thought out shape I like the style.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Very nice Terry nice balance to the shape I'm not into coloring but that looks good well done me ol mate

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
That's lovely !

I like the stain as well, but it's the shape that does it for me.

I see now why you tried to put me off that lathe the other day, I'll save up and buy a proper one if that's what can be done. (Aside from the skill :bwink:)

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
First Name
Terry
That's lovely !

I like the stain as well, but it's the shape that does it for me.

I see now why you tried to put me off that lathe the other day, I'll save up and buy a proper one if that's what can be done. (Aside from the skill :bwink:)

Looking at the quality of the pens that you turn Phill you will have no problem with a bowl!!!!

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Looks good Terry. :up:

I`ll just done a couple of pieces with spirit stain, it really perks up the more bland looking timbers.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).