• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Need help with watch parts

Harry

First Name
Harry
I wanted to have a go at a watch parts pen, so I got a small batch of parts from Fleabay. A lot of the gears have got an "axle" in the middle and obviously these must be removed so that the gears can be used, but I can't figure out how to do this as the parts are so small I can hardly see the "axle" even with a loupe. It is hard to tell if the gear and axle is one part or if this is something that can somehow be pressed out. Would anyone be willing to share how this is done without special watchmaker tools and the skill to use them!

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
I'm the same. I used my dremel type tool to grind them off but they are hardened steel and I end up having to cut very close to the cog and it only has to be touched with the cutter and it's ruined. Someone did say though that it should be possible to push them out but I've yet to try it.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

alan m

Apprentice Member
First Name
alan
the way I would go about it (never done it though) is get a 1" steel bar and drill a small hole in the end of it/.drill as centered as possible. put the gear on top and centre it as best as you can. then tap with a hammer.
maybe cover the steel with tape or something to stop scratch's

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Push em out with your drill press or lathe as above with the small hole and press the pivot pin into the hole.
If it don't shifting then your'e pushing the wrong side, turn it over and press from the other side.
They go in and out only one way init?

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
I use a nail with a small hole drilled up
The tip cut it flat first then put it over the
Pin and tap the cog off the pin do it on the
Flat of a vice or sheet of metal.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I use a nail with a small hole drilled up
The tip cut it flat first then put it over the
Pin and tap the cog off the pin do it on the
Flat of a vice or sheet of metal.

That would work just as well Frankie init?
Never needed to do it as I have pivot tools, using them is another thing, bloody fiddly little things.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I use a Mag lamp a lamp on a stand a circular fluro shielded from the eyes and it has a magnifier set in the middle alternate units available at craft shops etc the principle is the same they leave the hands free to operate the light hammer and punches, cleaning can be acheived using vibrating dishes they come up from time to time in Aldi and similar stores. So many other watch parts require different treatment all of these are covered on U Tube videos that simplify the proceedures. I had a jeweller dissembowl a complicated watch in no time flat his reward a lovely pen. How to use watch faces is another story also covered in U Tube. Removing and placing hands also lots of fun I had one pair of blanks made in the USA another way to go I was asked what time I wanted the hands set on the face. I will take a quick pic of this casting and add it in the post now.

Peter.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Cast blanks

A few cast blanks the watch parts cast in clear the emphasis is this preparing is only a step in a process.

Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 52
  • DSCF0003.JPG
    DSCF0003.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 53

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Peter what blade did you use to
Cut the coins.

Not mine swap from Texas some time back one for Utah and one for Washington special reasons. I wanted to show examples not history I believe excellent pens with Watch parts are one heck of a lot of hard work.

The coins (quarters were cut out with a scroll saw the thinning a method I know not. The Declaration of Independance and Washington have family connections the Utah Quarter features the completion of the Railway in Utah near where our daughter lives. Sorry I wanted to show reasons why watch parts are for the brave.

Peter.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).