• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Polish and Waxes Used in Pen Finishing

Jim

Grand Master
Here is a list of polishes and waxes that i use for my finished items.

EEE Ultra Shine and Shellawax Cream

EEE-Ultra Shine Paste Wax is designed for used as a sealer/polish agent prior to applying friction polish. EEE-Ultra Shine contains ultra fine abrasives that polish the wood surface creating an ideal base for friction polish. The polish is designed to be used in conjunction with the Shellawax Cream, which is a friction polish that also doubles as a buffing polish. On the lathe it gives a brilliant shine in seconds, can be handled immediately, is non toxic and water resistant. I like to use these two on Cocobolo and other oily woods. Gives them a really good sheen.

Ultra_Shine.jpg

Shellawax_Cream.jpg

Antiquax Original Wax Polish

I have used this several times on some of the pens that i have made, mainly on light woods ...

Antiquax.jpg

Renaissance Wax Polish

When I first heard about this wax i thohgt i would go out and buy some for my own piece of mind as all the reviews about it was all very good. Well it didn't let me down, i honestly believe that this wax gives me the best sheen on a friction polish finish.

Renaissance_Wax_Polish.jpg

Liberon Verdigris Wax

Not much use for pens, i bought this not really knowing what i was buying. All i will say is that this tin will still have plenty in it when i have long gone ...

Liberon_Verdigris_Wax.jpg

Jim

Grand Master
Chestnut Wood Wax 22

A blend of beeswax and carnuaba wax in a non-harmful solvent making a soft paste wax which is fast and easy to use, ideal for use on lathe work, i used to use this all the time before i bought the Renaissance Wax. I am comfortable with the fact it is now second best ...

Chestnut_Wood_Wax.jpg

Meguiars Scratch X20

I use Meguiars Scratch on all my Acrylic, Corian and CA finished pens, before this i used Hut Ultra Gloss, plastic polish. Meguiars Scratch does a very good job and it will have to be a very food product for me to come away from this.

Meguiars_Scratch_X20.jpg
Hut_Ultra_Gloss.jpg

Jim

Grand Master
I don't use Brasso much these days but it did me a good job when using it on my Acrylic turned pens after micro sanding. The Danish oil i use this on dark woods, i have never used it with the pen making side, just on plates and boxes. It does what it says on the can.

brasso.jpg
danish_oil.jpg

And finally down to my waxes, i have a few that i use, Beeswax, Carnauba Wax, but they are all used identically. Add while the lathe is turning then buff off, gives you a sheen and most of all protection.

woodturning_wax.jpg

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Jim,
have a look at wood turners finish made by general finishes. Its water based so dries in a minute allowing you to get lots of coats on quickly. Its a good alternative to CA which I don't fancy using.

Keith

Jim

Grand Master
Hi Keith, i will take a look at this as i hate using the CA for a finish, my nose runs, my eyes water and i can't stop sneezing. So the pens have to be real special if i use the CA ... :down:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).