• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Alumilite

Artfulpens

Apprentice Member
First Name
Tor
Hello,

I am new to this forum so thanks for having me, i might be incorrect in posting this but i could not find the right thread.

I am looking to cast some worthless wood with some kind of resin, so far i have tried Polyester resin but with the 7-9 shrinkage and the fact that it does not adhere to wood very good.

Now i am trying clear rigid epoxy resin but i am not sure if it will be ok.

The question i have is Alumilite the best product to make hybrid pen blanks with ?

Thanks for all your help.

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
Hello Tor and welcome to the Asylum mate, can't help you but there are a few on here will help you with it when they have taken their medication and get online I'm sure mate! enjoy the forums...:thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Welcome to the nuthouse Tor, where about in UK are you?
I won't give advise on casting cos I don't wanna see people hurting themselves and I'll leave it at that.
There are plenty of nutters here who will and you won't have to wait long init?

Artfulpens

Apprentice Member
First Name
Tor
Hello,

Thanks for that, i am based in West Malling in Kent, i have since the post was created decided to continue using Polyester resin since i just bought 5kg :sob: but i am using a pressure pot.

I wanted to do some hybrid blanks and other items using both resin and wood and i will start to make some blanks tomorrow and if the resin separates from the wood ( I am expecting that to happen i will clean of either end and CA glue them together again.:banana:

It does not sound right but ill do it anyway.:drool:

Jim

Grand Master
I don't see why the PR isn't sticking to the wood, use a slightly bigger mould to allow for the shrinkage. Alumilite does work well with wood and is a good choice but quite expensive. :down:

Cold weather doesn't suit either of these products, if to cold the resin will not go off ..

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
WElcome some good advice so far. This article may help you on your way to success.

Peter.

Attachments

• Warming Chamber Set Up (1) (1) (1).pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 24

Artfulpens

Apprentice Member
First Name
Tor
That looks great, thanks i will make myself one of those.

The funny thing i have made something similar i made a Biltong box for my friend with a fan and a lightbulb.

:winking:

Artfulpens

Apprentice Member
First Name
Tor
PR just does not bond well with wood from my experience, it shrinks all around it even the bit that is connected to the wood so it never adhere if it can not stay 99.9% connected.

Alumilite is somewhere where i might go one day but for now i will keep trying PR and do some trials with other types of Resin that does not cost a bomb

Jim

Grand Master
You could try Polyurethane Resin Tor, better bonding than Polyester .. :thinks:

Artfulpens

Apprentice Member
First Name
Tor
Yeah, i bough 2KG of sow cure Polyurethane resin yesterday, should have it Tuesday from East coast Fibreglass supply, it can be pigmented easily so that is also good.:wink:

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
Hi Tor

Welcome to the forum I have not done any casting yet and am still trying to glean some knowledge from utube and internet and it seems that most of the stuff is USA based and a lot cheaper than you could purchase or get in the UK. I have seen this and maybe Jim if you could comment if this would be ok to start with Water Clear Casting Kit A - East Coast Fibreglass Supplies it seems to take a long time to set compared to the aluminite stuff.

Tephy

First Name
Steve
What is it with this word "Alumilite"???? Alumilite is a BRAND NAME for polyurethane resin in the USA you can buy it here in the UK I buy from EC Fibreglass all the time. When I first started casting I spent ages on the phone with their tech department working out what was what. The slow cure they sell is white just like Alumilite and the casting clear is just like the Alumilite clear. Setting times are dependent on temperature as are open times. Because of the short open times you really do need to cast under pressure to ensure bubble free

If you want to know more just ask .

Artfulpens

Apprentice Member
First Name
Tor
Hi Tor

Welcome to the forum I have not done any casting yet and am still trying to glean some knowledge from utube and internet and it seems that most of the stuff is USA based and a lot cheaper than you could purchase or get in the UK. I have seen this and maybe Jim if you could comment if this would be ok to start with Water Clear Casting Kit A - East Coast Fibreglass Supplies it seems to take a long time to set compared to the aluminite stuff.

This is the product i am using at the moment and it works great for casting in PVC pipes and using pigment powder makes it look amazing, however it smells quite a bit and also when it turns it smells so i am not super happy with it.

Also i am starting to cast with worthless wood and other wood combinations so i need something that does not shrink as much at Polyester resin and has a better adherence to wood...:praying:

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
Hi Steve thank you for the reply so this water clear casting resin from EC will do for me and I was holding back on a purchase of a pressure pot until I had cleared up this resin stuff sorry for being so thick but I need Noddies guide to casting. The only thing left to be cleared up is do I realy need cactus juice and a vacuum I noticed on an other thread that some folk use Ronseal wood hardener

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).