• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

What went wrong

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Just finished this Cigar in Coolabah burl with six coats of CA/BLO .It was like glass than after around a couple of minutes or so it went dull ..still looks OK, but what happened to my 'finish like glass' ???

Attachments

• P1050034.JPG
    P1050034.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 58

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
Same here Ed, I cut the CA back with the full range of micro mesh pads.

Might be worth a go at dismantling the pen, cut back a little then add couple coats of CA, cut back again then burnish.... Lets know what you do and how you recover.... Good luck buddy... :thinks:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
What did you use on the blank before applying the CA Ed? :nooidea:

I applied a coat of BLO as per Mr Young's instructions on his you tube video. Like I say the same procedure has worked a treat for me on other woods. ???:nooidea:

Jim

Grand Master
I applied a coat of BLO as per Mr Young's instructions on his you tube video. Like I say the same procedure has worked a treat for me on other woods. ???:nooidea:

That could be the issue here, i have had the same, if the BLO hasn't gone off (Used to much) it is hard to get a good sheen .. :down:

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
That could be the issue here, i have had the same, if the BLO hasn't gone off (Used to much) it is hard to get a good sheen .. :down:

Gadzooks Jim I think you may have hit it on the head ..I think I was a bit too heavy handed with it this time. It's a leaning curve init !!

sbwertz

First Name
Sharon
That can happen if the blank is not completely dry. Also if your BLO or CA are not fresh. The first thing I would try is hitting it with a soft buffing wheel. If that doesn't bring up the finish, disassemble the pen, sand it lightly and try again. \

I had to buy new CA and BLO when I forgot to bring it in the house when not using it. The high temps in Phoenix will affect both. The CA still works OK for gluing, but will not bring up a good finish. It could be that the high heat you have been having has damaged your CA and/or BLO. I buy them in fairly large quantities, and now I decant a small amount into smaller bottles to use at the lathe, refilling them as needed from the bottles in the air conditioned house. My dad kept his CA in the freezer because he didn't use it that often, but I've never tried that.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Couple of things could have happened, moisture makes the CA mist like this, was it very hot in the workshop? Cup of steaming coffee next to it? The CA could be off, some keep it in the fridge. Doesnt sound like you did use an accelerant but some of the cheap ones are not compatible with all makes of CA.

Best way to solve this problem is to collect up all the CA you can find and chuck it all in the bin and use a good polish regime. Lets not forget the C in CA stands for cyanide!

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
Ed, you've got some great tips here. My tuppence: I understand from the thread that you never cut back the CA before polishing. If the CA had an uneven surface (pretty much guaranteed if you never cut it back) at best you're going to get a satin finish. (While you were polishing the polish filled all the unevenness which is why it looked like glass while you were polishing.). Try using 1200 grit paper WET to smooth the CA, then work up through your micro mesh grades. Careful you don't cut back all the way through your CA! Then polish again. If that doesn't work, maybe your CA or BLO are the culprits.

Good luck!

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Thanks everyone for all your contributions it has given me lots to think about. I think I need to try this 'friction polish' stuff that everyone talks about :thinks:

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Thanks everyone for all your contributions it has given me lots to think about. I think I need to try this 'friction polish' stuff that everyone talks about :thinks:[/QUOTE

After seeing Neil's work first hand I'm using that from now on.

keith

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).