• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

This weekend's efforts

sfurini

Graduate Member
First Name
Stewart
Hi all
Haven't had anything to post for a while but this weekend I tried casting some polyurethane resin to see if it was the same as alumilite which I was told was a urethane resin...

Anyway, the blanks cast in much the same way and as quickly as alumilite. First picture is them straight from my rough and ready mould shown in an earlier post. I then turned them round this afternoon to see how the colours had worked out. Most look ok, bot on of the blue and white blanks didn't get a colour mix all the way through.

I haven't tried threading yet but will give an update when I have.

I also made some masters for making some more moulds to cast parts for making wooden pens - they'll be in the inserts for the barrel, the cap and a nib blank (these ones will be roller balls but I might get on to making some wooden fountain pens too). I know I could make the inserts from plain cast resin but I'm trying to minimize waste...

Castings 281115.jpgCastings Rough Turned 291115.jpgKit parts for casting inserts.jpg

Bigblackdog

Registered
First Name
Mark
i will be interested to see how the resin will take a thread, and how the inserts work out. I had wondered about turning an insert for the same purpose, but I had planned to use ebonite.

Jim

Grand Master
Blanks look pretty decent Stewart, interested in seeing the final results ..

sfurini

Graduate Member
First Name
Stewart
Here's an update - did some threading on one of the blanks this evening. Just to be accurate, the resin I used was Polycraft SG2000 from MBFG.

It threads very nicely indeed - as far as I can tell, exactly the same as alumilite. Here's the best I can manage with my phone camera of the threads and a shot with a rather manky section, though the nib is great :winking:

2015-11-30 18.52.37.jpg

2015-11-30 18.53.24.jpg

Artfulpens

Apprentice Member
First Name
Tor
Good work on the casting on these, i am trialling something similar with ECPU 3691 (Slow cure) Polyurethane Resin and it looks "OK" so far. doing another batch later in the week, machining works well.

Good luck

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).