• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

stabilised spalted beech

George Watkins

Registered
First Name
George
hello folks

The cactus juice I ordered from Turntex in Texas was delivered very quickly (less than 2 weeks) and in perfect condition, after duty it worked out at £90 a gallon.
I finished my 1st batch of stabilised spalted beech blanks and am working on lots more including alder, burr maple and rippled H/chestnut

These are 55mm square and vary from 90 to 95mm tall,before stabilising the average weight was 90 grams, now the average weight is 300 grams
before it was like holding a piece of balsa wood and now its like cocobolo or african blackwood

this is my homemade chamber

George Watkins

Registered
First Name
George
I forgot to say and cant edit the original post now that I ordered two gallons of cactus juice as the cost of the shipping box is the same whether you buy one gallon or two and I have allot of wood to do

Jim

Grand Master
Well worth the effort George, those blanks look the business .. :thumbs:

packrat

First Name
Bruce
That is a properly awesome set of figures for the weight increase, George! Nicely done.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).