• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Am I missing something?

Maurice

Today I turned a Baron Rollerball but I have a problem. When I fitted the cap onto the pen thread, I found that the grain in the wood did not line up. With the normal Sierra and slimline, you can line the grain up before pushing them together but I cannot see how you can take into account the turns of the screw thread when putting the parts together Maybe I am missing something obvious and any help would be appreciated.

Happy turning.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Screw the flange on the pen line up and push the cap on the flange. unscrew press in simples init?

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Depending on where you got your kit from, they have multistart threads, if you unscrew it with a gentle pressure on the cap, you will hear it click.

You may have up to 4 start positions which will help you then to align it better. It may not be perfect but it will be near, you can always put the finial part onto the thread then line up the cap where you want it, then tape it to retain it, you can then press it home and it will be lined up.

The thing with the multistart thread is that your buyer will have a 1 in 4 chance of getting to line up again anyway.

Does that help ?

Maurice

What great answers. I can see the logic Grump and I will do that in the future. PhillH you have just saved a pen from being thrown into a cupboard. I didn't hear a click but you were right with the multistart
thread. I would never have guessed it in a month of Sundays. After the third try the grain lined up.

Jed Baxter

Registered
I screw the cap end on the nib coupling first without the blank connected. Align the blank by eye and push the blank onto the coupling by hand, unscrew the cap end then press it home ... :ciggrin:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).