• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Classic Comments

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Last year I wrote down all the amusing questions I was asked when I was at Craft Fairs. I forgot to start a list this year but was reminded to at the recent show at Southport Flower Show.

Picture this, the Stand is about 3.5m wide and the lathe is on a table to the left and elevated to keep the kids hands away. I am standing on a pedestal so the lathe is at the right operating height and Mr Geek approaches smelling of mothballs, cardigan fraying at the edges and hat which looks like it has just escaped from the washing machine approaches the stand, peers aimlessly at the lathe at a distance of about 9 inches, scanning the corporate colours on the Axminster lathe and suddenly turns to me and asks, "What is the wood made from?"

Did he really mean that? So, testing his stupidity I respond flippantly, "Trees".

Oh dear, the response was "What? Real trees?"

Those sort of genes should not be allowed to spread.

Best one from last season was "Do you make your own ink?"

Faced with a stand of around 300/400 pens, "Do you make watches?"

Whilst leaning over the lathe with a considerable pile of sawdust on me, the lathe and in the immediate vicintiy of the lathe, "Do you import these from Korea?" Best he goes to Specsavers!!

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Makes you wonder how some of them find their way out of their front doors .

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Easy Terry, to them we are the problem ... :winking:

There are no problems, only people.
So are they real trees Neil?
Do you make your own ink?

I would be most interested to know, you haven't answered these simple questions.
(sorry standing in for George in his absence.)

Bluefoxy

I make my own ink and I'm sure I got the recipe from Brian. 3 parts carbon soot, 1 part de-natured alcohol and 2 parts lighter fuel. Just don't smoke while you're writing :bwink:

Ray

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hello, Neil,
I'm here at last! The comment I liked came after a geek (could it be the same one?) asked me how much one of my fountain pens would cost to buy.
"That one is £25.00, including case and spare cartridge."
"Wouldn't take a Fiver for it, would you?" he said.
My reply led me to being approached by the event's organiser and asked to moderate my language. LOL!

Bob.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).