• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Messing With Stabilising Resin

Jim

Grand Master
I made a pen the other day from some Burr Elm that was riddled with Woodworm, i just placed the wood in a mould and filled it with coloured resin and put it under 50psi of pressure over night. It didn't turn out to bad but the resin didn't fill all holes .. Starting yesterday i stabilised more of the wood finished it off today ready to place back under pressure sometime .. The wood was dropping to pieces before stabilising it, it was from the punky ends of the log, the pen i made was no where near as bad as these ..

I have taken out the background of this image to help show up the blanks a bit better .. Somehow i think i have wasted some of my time with this wood as it was to far gone .. Will have to wait till i get more resin to find out .. :whistling:

stabilised-burr-elm-blank.jpg

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Good luck, Jim. I hope you removed the woodworms first? They don't die, you know, they just keep munching away...and away...and... In six months time you have a plastic sieve.

Bob.

Terry Q

Fellow
First Name
Terry
I have stabilized some very punky wood with good results and some was a wasted effort. Most turned out well. I have learned stabilizing is not gap filling, it will not fix broken pieces and it uses an extreme amount of juice.

You've gone this far you might as well take it to the end. It may turn out spectacular.:ciggrin:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).