• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

5" x 2.5" piece of sycamore, how to start ?

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Hi,

Would you start this using a screw chuck or could you do it between centres to form the base and then hollow out using the chuck ?

What is best to hollow it out with tools wise ?

Cheers

mattyts

Registered
Screw a faceplate onto it,rough it out,turn a tenon or a recces onto it...
rough out using a bowl gouge or scraper,turn a tenon or recces with either a skew or a dovetail scraper then grip on the chuck and do the rest of the turning

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
For a small bowl that size a screw chuck is the most simple way also again for that size bowl you could use whatever method of holding it to remove the inside that you want a spigot in the form of a dovetail will act as a foot for the bowl A recess will will be ok as well so it is all down to your own personal choice to remove the inside a small bowl gouge followed By a scrapper using to shear scrap and clean it up or a scrapper will do the job from beginning to end if you haven't got a bowl gouge enjoy

mattyts

Registered
For small bowls,a recces is preferred for me because I dont have to clean up the bottom of the bowl to create a foot,on larger bowls,i use a spigot because they are generally stronger but you have to clean up the bottom of the bowl using another method

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
I have used a recess on an 18 inch bowl and got away with it. Providing you take your time and don't go mad with the cuts you should be okay. In fact nearly all my bowls are done this way even though it's not the preferred method. I would also use a bowl gouge for hollowing out!!!!

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
Start on screw chuck then rough out put the outside shape and then cut a recess and the hollow out and finish

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Thanks folks, I'm now more scared of the thing than before :funny:

It seemed like a good idea yesterday.

Phil mate just do it. If it turns out wrong you've lost next to buggerall but enjoyed yourself. Next time it will be better.

keith

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
We all have our own ways of doing things & I`ve tried all the ways already described above with success.
The main thing is to be confident in the method you adopt, starting out with doubt in your mind will only lead to disaster.

If I ever have concerns about the timber I want to turn then I go for a spigot, I feel more confident knowing I have a decent amount of timber inside the chuck.
I rarely leave a chucking point preferring to finish the base with the bowl held in cole jaws, so it doesn't really matter to me which way the chuck holds the blank, so for me it`s more about being happy with the setup I have for each individual piece of timber I`m going to turn, being confident leads to more confidence & a better chance of a successful outcome.

Happy turning.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Not all spigots need to be removed as I said before if you make a dovetail spigot to fit your jaws then you can leave it on as a foot like the one in the picture 37.JPG68.JPG

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Time permitting Phil I will show you both ways on the 14th they are both safe if done correctly and with stable wood I have used both methods on platters and bowls over 24"

Jim

Grand Master
Time permitting Phil I will show you both ways on the 14th they are both safe if done correctly and with stable wood I have used both methods on platters and bowls over 24"

We will make time Woody, we will come down the day before and park the caravans in the street ... :kiss:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Dogs and horses are Ok but I think our resident hedgehog may object to another one unless it is a female :wink::wink:

Walter

Fellow
First Name
Walter
Like Woody says, recess or spigot is a matter of personal choice, there have been long debates about it on other forums and people get very het up about it but both have advantages and disadvantages.

Whatever holding method you choose, don't be scared of it, just go for it with confidence as per Doug's advice.

Walter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).