• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Negative Rake Scrapers

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
Following on from watching Sue Harker RPT making acrylic pendants, she expounded the virtues of using negative rake scrapers. I thought I'd look into this a bit more so I found this video on the subject. I then decided to make all of my scrapers into negative rake, including my large 1 1/2in round nose scraper. I used it the other day on a bowl I was making and I have to say it made a huge difference to the control of the tool with none of the dig in's that scrapers can do if you're not careful. Have a look at the video, if you've not seen it before and you make your own minds up but I thoroughly recommend this. :thumbs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdXxkr1hEPE

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
It does seem that everyone is raving about negative rake scrapers recently.

What worries me more is that I recognised the video as being Mike Waldts workshop without even watching it :whistling:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
It works well on cast polyester old bill Jones introduced a wedge tool donkeys years which is the same principal and that is what I use on cast polyester like when I make the pendants

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
I've an old skew that has a large radius ground on it, works a treat for shear scraping.

Bill Mooney

Blind old git
Grand Master
First Name
Bill
Been using negative rake scrapers for a few years now, the wedge tool too. They work a treat. I started using them after using the skew on its side as a scraper.:thumbs:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Whats in a name but I respect the finish George of the small boxes uses with such skill and precision he defines his work this way.

Peter.

rayf6604

Registered
First Name
Ray
Been using negative rake scrapers for a few years now, the wedge tool too. They work a treat. I started using them after using the skew on its side as a scraper.:thumbs:
I started using a skew in this way before I knew what a negative rake scraper was. I saw Richard Raffan doing this with a skew. It works well. As Woody said, I use the negative rake scraper initially to make acrylic pendants, and then I found the video and looked at it further.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

21William

Fellow
First Name
William
Do any of you use a specific angle for your scrapers? I did see one recommendation that it's handy to grind both the upper and lower angles the same to make things easier. An included angle of 60° was also suggested as a good starting point, does that sound about right?

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
It works well on cast polyester old bill Jones introduced a wedge tool donkeys years which is the same principal and that is what I use on cast polyester like when I make the pendants

There's a talk/eulogy tomorrow on Bill Jones “Reflections on Bill Jones”, given by Stuart King if you wanted to attend, UB10 9NA.

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).