• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Workshop help

Baldy

Fellow
First Name
Graeme
I know that there is a wide range of experience on this site so looking for some advice.. I was thinking about my options for a bigger workshop.. was looking at a log cabin style building to replace a large rotten shed and a greenhouse. However financially looks a little out of budget.. was thinking about lining my garage which is a breeze block construction and corregated roof. Was thinking batons on walls and kingspan insulation but not sure about airflow requirements etc was going to stick a small log burner in corner also to heat it up as too cold in winter at least my small shed warms up either oil filled radiator. .any help and advice appreciated.

Thanks

Graeme

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

cookie21

First Name
Barry
your cheapest option would be to use your existing building & insulate, but watch out with the woodburner all sorts of problems, registerer installers expensive, insurance, best to use a oil filled rad in the long run

Jim

Grand Master
I would suggest you go for the best that you could afford Graeme, on either modifying the existing build or buying a new one .. Saves much regret if it isn't done to your satisfaction when you finish it .. :whistling:

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
Multiple choices are available for this project mate, think long and hard at what you really want.

I chose this and I am well chuffed

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 149
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 149

Baldy

Fellow
First Name
Graeme
Multiple choices are available for this project mate, think long and hard at what you really want.

I chose this and I am well chuffed
Was looking for something similar to this but they looking at about 8 grand..

Baldy

Fellow
First Name
Graeme
Can you extend the garage Graeme?
Unfortunately not by enough to make it worthwhile

If go down the road of shed / cabin am looking at 8 x 3 but meters instead of current 8 x 4 feet

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
I have made a number of large timber framed buildings (sheds) the last was 12' × 33' simple 4x2 cls and decent TGV cladding with 3 coats of Sadoline ( on completion and not a lot else) these have been in 10 years and still going. With a chopsaw and nailgun easy work and not as expensive as you think....just plan well...:whistling:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
The timber should be a good project east to fit out and insulate,wire and design just for you with a separate dust ex.

Peter.

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
Well I replaced a shed last year but was not as big as you want Graeme being only 10x10 feet I did check out the price for a self build using cladding but with the price of wood being so high it was cheaper buying the shed all be it in kit form I have insulated the shed using Eco-Airtec Insulation Kit
http://www.ecohome-insulation.com/?i=925557 which has kept the shed warm and damp free this winter. A lot of suppliers will not deliver to me as they think we are not part of the UK mainland in Inverness I don't know if that applies to Aberdeen but it does make me angry

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
Was looking for something similar to this but they looking at about 8 grand..

Bloody Hell Graeme with that amount you should be able to do something spectacular. My total build cost was £2,300 that was for everything

:thumbs::thumbs:

Baldy

Fellow
First Name
Graeme
Well I replaced a shed last year but was not as big as you want Graeme being only 10x10 feet I did check out the price for a self build using cladding but with the price of wood being so high it was cheaper buying the shed all be it in kit form I have insulated the shed using Eco-Airtec Insulation Kit
http://www.ecohome-insulation.com/?i=925557 which has kept the shed warm and damp free this winter. A lot of suppliers will not deliver to me as they think we are not part of the UK mainland in Inverness I don't know if that applies to Aberdeen but it does make me angry
Not so much in aberdeen but the 7 miles away much the same as you..

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Good ideas flowing experienced recent builders advice invaluable where you live interesting challenges surely it cannot be distance.

Peter.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Hi Graeme the trouble with breeze blocks is they will soak up water and make your workshop very damp unless it has a good waterproof render my new workshop which is 15m x 4m cost £1,4000 with del and erection then another few hundred pounds to insulate it heres a link they do all sizes and they are very good quality workshops http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16x12-19m...103681?hash=item33af0b9401:g:cQ0AAOxyXDhSlzKZ

Johnwhitlock

Apprentice Member
First Name
John
Mine is self built with 4 x 2s Osb and box section steel cladding, it's ugly as f*** but is well made and secure. If your building your self you could get upvc mis- measured windows and doors cheap from local companies

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).