PDA

View Full Version : January Competition

Buckeye
05-01-16, 12:09
To commemorate the Forum continuing we are having a competition. The theme is any kind of pen or pencil as long as it has a Segmented blank. The segmented part can be using any material you want paper, wood, plastic, metal, leather or any other material you can think of. as long as it has two or more materials joined together it is segmented, it can even be a bought blank.

I believe Vic is a bit the worse for wear today, so if you are wise you can steal a march on him and prepare your blanks before he realises the game is on.

For newbies the usual rule is that you must have made 25 posts by the time you enter the competition, it is easily achievable, just ask a few question and you will be up there before you know it, get on with the competition in the meant time.

The start time is now and the finish time will be announced, but will be before the end of the month.

The prize or prizes will be varied, depending on how many entrants we get, if we get 20 or more entrants there could even be 1st. 2nd. and 3rd. places, so get your skates on and get started, you will soon be out of time.

Any questions, please ask away.

Peter.

Terry Q
05-01-16, 14:07
How many entries per person are allowed?

Woody
05-01-16, 14:45
Right I had better get busy then

Buckeye
05-01-16, 14:55
How many entries per person are allowed?

Good question. Normally it is one entry per person, so for this competition we will stick with that.

If anyone has views on this point please let us know here and it will be considered for future competitions.

I have also been toying with the idea of points allocated to a person for entering the monthly competitions and we all know what points mean. The points could be totalled at the end of the year and appropriate prizes awarded, so the more competitions you enter the great the chance of winning, again if you have any thoughts about this, let us know.

Peter

Buckeye
05-01-16, 14:57
Right I had better get busy then

lol, I think that might be a couple of hours work for you at the most, even if you made your own blank.

Peter

Buckeye
05-01-16, 16:07
The pen you enter into the competition must not have appeared anywhere online or in any other competition before, it must also not have been shown to any other forum member.

The competition is open to all Forum members with at least 25 posts by the time the pen is entered into the competition.

Every forum member can vote for the pen they like best, entrants may not vote for their own pen.

If there is a tie in the votes I will break the tie with my vote.

Photographs

The pen should be photographed on a piece of white photocopy paper or similar white paper without a texture. There should be no props in the photograph.

You should take two photographs of the pen, one to be horizontal with the cap on, the other with the cap off and the nib end of the pen resting on the cap similar to the sample photos below. If it is a pen without a cap then just 1 horizontal photograph will do, but you can take 3 if you feel it will show your blank better.

The photos should be 800 pixels wide and your pen should be almost as wide. If you need help with this, either PM me or ask here.

If there are any special features in your pen you can also include a close up of the feature if you wish.

PM your photographs to me and also include the make of kit and materials use in the segmented blank.

When will the vote be.

TBA

If I have left something out please post it in this thread.

Peter

Dalboy
05-01-16, 16:37
What is the minimum amount of segments required

Buckeye
05-01-16, 16:53
What is the minimum amount of segments required

Two. I have tried to find a pen that Jim did recently using aluminium or brass, think he only had two materials, but I can't find it at the moment.

Peter

bellringer
05-01-16, 17:55
So do you have to use two different types of material or can it be two different woods

Buckeye
05-01-16, 18:08
So do you have to use two different types of material or can it be two different woods

It could be two different woods or two different types of corian. I would like to see it as any number of materials or different coloured woods, metals, plastics etc as long as there is at least two pieces involved.

It will be the members who vote on the pens so if you know how the members will vote then use the winning materials and the number of segments that is optimum for the members to vote for you:thumbs: If you do know how they will vote, can you give me the winning lottery numbers for Friday Euromillions:praying:

Peter

Vic Perrin
05-01-16, 18:37
My heads still throbbing from yesterday's celebrations. I have read the rules and it is throbbing even worse now.
I understand that the competition involves making a pen and that's about as far as I have got.

Will remain sitting in this dark room until the thick head clears

:thinks::thinks::thinks::thinks:

Buckeye
05-01-16, 18:55
My heads still throbbing from yesterday's celebrations. I have read the rules and it is throbbing even worse now.
I understand that the competition involves making a pen and that's about as far as I have got.

:thinks::thinks::thinks::thinks:

I will type this quietly then. Just take your time and recover. Did you hear about the Japanese who said to Donald Trump "I play for your erection"

Take care Vic.

Peter

Penpal
05-01-16, 19:24
Just as well birthdays are restricted to one a year Vic.

Peter,

chas_41_uk
05-01-16, 20:01
Hmmm will the weather be kind and allow me to get into the shed:thinks:

In your case, that could be a very long time Vic :wink::funny:

Jim
05-01-16, 20:16
Thanks for revitalising this forgotten forum Peter .. :winking: Looking forward to the competition my friend .. :thumbs:

Buckeye
05-01-16, 20:26
Thanks for revitalising this forgotten forum Peter .. :winking: Looking forward to the competition my friend .. :thumbs:

Thanks for letting it happen, Jim. I am quite excited about it, we already have a generous sponsor for future competitions. So, even though this one is Segmenting I have lined up a Closed End Pen Competition, Kitless Competition, Pen with Hybrid Blank Competition and if members wish to put their ideas for a pen competition forward all will be considered and talked about.

Peter

Lons
05-01-16, 23:41
Thanks for letting it happen, Jim. I am quite excited about it, we already have a generous sponsor for future competitions. So, even though this one is Segmenting I have lined up a Closed End Pen Competition, Kitless Competition, Pen with Hybrid Blank Competition and if members wish to put their ideas for a pen competition forward all will be considered and talked about.

Peter

Bl**dy hell, where am I going to find the time? :ciggrin:

wm460
06-01-16, 08:10
Have to put the thinking cap on.:thinks:

donwatson
06-01-16, 10:28
:thinks: So much to do, so little time :thinks:

Penpal
06-01-16, 19:17
With entries being anonymous unseen by other members ,new approaches that look great to me well done Peter.

Buckeye
06-01-16, 20:07
With entries being anonymous unseen by other members ,new approaches that look great to me well done Peter.

We have had that rule in the past and it makes sense.

Peter

woodhacker
11-01-16, 19:01
some eejit started a segmented pen comp and now I've got cuts all ower, piles o sawdust, a bin full of scrap and still no pen.:sob::sob::sob:
:thinks:maybe some good has come of this, she who must be obeyed has threatened to leave. :banana::banana::banana:

Dalboy
11-01-16, 19:04
some eejit started a segmented pen comp and now I've got cuts all ower, piles o sawdust, a bin full of scrap and still no pen.:sob::sob::sob:
:thinks:maybe some good has come of this, she who must be obeyed has threatened to leave. :banana::banana::banana:

And you think you have problems I went into the wood pile and found a nice piece of wood for the cap and another for the bottom now I need to turn them. Well Peter did say two pieces of wood:wink::wink::wink:

chas_41_uk
11-01-16, 19:50
some eejit started a segmented pen comp and now I've got cuts all ower, piles o sawdust, a bin full of scrap and still no pen

Well I went in the shed yesterday morning and made a jig for getting the segmenting right then turned the Yew pen I put in another post. Got an old bit of wood to practice the segmenting on and the bl**dy CA wouldn't go off as it was so cold outside. I ended up using thin CA which took longer to go off than thick CA does :rolling::rolling::rolling:

Dalboy
11-01-16, 20:26
Well I went in the shed yesterday morning and made a jig for getting the segmenting right then turned the Yew pen I put in another post. Got an old bit of wood to practice the segmenting on and the bl**dy CA wouldn't go off as it was so cold outside. I ended up using thin CA which took longer to go off than thick CA does :rolling::rolling::rolling:

Come on Chas I had to take my jacket off to work in my shed:funny::funny::funny:

Vic Perrin
11-01-16, 20:34
I have been in the shed today for the first time since before Christmas. Started looking at how to do a segmented pen blank and came out 3 hours later with a nice Oak Candlestick (not segmented).

:thinks::thinks::thinks:

Buckeye
12-01-16, 20:30
Okay let's get some dates set in stone, let's call it soluble stone, just in case:praying:

The Deadline for photos to be PMd to me is Sunday 31st January 2016 but be aware if your photos do not meet the criteria set down, your entry may be rejected. Better to PM the photos before, if you can, at least that way you may have time to photograph them to suit.

The photos will be put up to the group on Monday 1st February and members will have "several" days to vote. The "several" will be quantified ASAP.

Peter

Woody
12-01-16, 20:39
Well I have been racking me brain and I cant come up with anything new but I will get there I will get there oh yes I will ohhhhhh me brain hurts :sob:

Penpal
12-01-16, 21:02
I have an idea or two maybe I can try.

Peter.

wm460
12-01-16, 21:04
Bugger trying to get this bloody stripped down rotary hoe repaired so I can have a vegetable garden this year [emoji24]

Sent from my D6683 using Tapatalk

Buckeye
13-01-16, 21:37
I have received the first photos for the competition, in fact there were 3 photos of the pen and they covered the overall pattern in the segmenting so please feel free to take unto 3 photos to show off your work.

Peter

Lons
13-01-16, 23:56
What !!!:rolling: haven't had time to think about it yet.:think: Someone is quick off the mark.

Woody
14-01-16, 17:04
Peter I want to thank you for starting this compo it has got me all fired up again I have spent most of the day in me workshop cutting material up for segmenting

Buckeye
14-01-16, 17:12
Peter I want to thank you for starting this compo it has got me all fired up again I have spent most of the day in me workshop cutting material up for segmenting

That's great, get it finished and we have two entries:thumbs: I cut a load last year and it is somewhere I can't find it, I have to stop putting things somewhere safe.

Only 16 day to go, still plenty of time, even for those workaholics, get cutting and gluing:kiss:

Peter

TaylorsMirfield.co.uk
14-01-16, 17:18
I'm working on my blank tonight.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Dalboy
14-01-16, 17:36
That's great, get it finished and we have two entries:thumbs: I cut a load last year and it is somewhere I can't find it, I have to stop putting things somewhere safe.

Only 16 day to go, still plenty of time, even for those workaholics, get cutting and gluing:kiss:

Peter

Blank is now all glued up and ready to drill spent all day today deciding which kit to put it on had cut the list down to 3 by 2 pm and have just decided the final kit in the last 1/2 hour. OK a bit strange make blank first then decide kit normally pick kit then design blank around that:rolling::rolling::rolling:

Woody
14-01-16, 17:52
Made two blanks and one segmented pen today but I'm not happy with it I'm now halfway towards finishing the next two blanks good fun init

Buckeye
14-01-16, 18:16
It's always best to get started early as sometimes it's good to have time to redo something that isn't quite 100% in the makers eyes, me I tend to leave things to the last minute and it works or it doesn't, needs lots of luck with that approach:goesred:

Peter

billyb_imp
14-01-16, 18:28
Made two blanks and one segmented pen today but I'm not happy with it I'm now halfway towards finishing the next two blanks good fun init

Woody "The Master" having problems, what chance we mere mortals :whistling::whistling:

TaylorsMirfield.co.uk
14-01-16, 21:37
My fingers have been stock together more times tonight than ever before!

Buckeye
14-01-16, 21:39
My fingers have been stock together more times tonight than ever before!

Just don't pick your nose while segmenting:whistling:

Peter

TaylorsMirfield.co.uk
14-01-16, 21:40

Peter
It's too late telling me now!

Dalboy
14-01-16, 21:45
It's too late telling me now!

Looks like the CEO of Taylorsmirfield will have to pack the orders now, and faster:funny::funny::funny:

Neil Lawton
14-01-16, 21:59
The chances of me having time to enter this competition are slimmer than the winner of the slimmer of the year competition!
I do however still have to send Peter a few pieces of wood, and will add a few more for him to distribute to the winners.
Good luck guys!

Lons
14-01-16, 22:04
I do however still have to send Peter a few pieces of wood,

No ready segmented ones I trust!:nonono:

Buckeye
14-01-16, 22:07
The chances of me having time to enter this competition are slimmer than the winner of the slimmer of the year competition!
I do however still have to send Peter a few pieces of wood, and will add a few more for him to distribute to the winners.
Good luck guys!

That's a fantastic gesture, Neil.

Peter

Bill Mooney
14-01-16, 22:24
Good man that Neil.:thumbs:

Dalboy
14-01-16, 22:36
Well done Neil.

Shall I give you my address now save the blanks doing a roundabout trip:funny::funny::funny:

Vic Perrin
14-01-16, 22:41
Ive finally cracked it ! Never having done any segmenting whatsoever I painstakingly managed to produce my first masterpiece after nearly 2 days of cutting, re cutting and never ending attempts to glue the bas***d bits back together I had my first ever segmented pen blank.

Kit selected and blank drilled with no problems whatsoever it was time for the lathe.

First touch of the chisel I had a dig in and the fu****g lousy segmented lump of sh**e cracked into more pieces than I started with.

So yes I really have got this segmenting cracked

:sob::sob::sob::sob:

Woody
14-01-16, 22:50
Ive finally cracked it ! Never having done any segmenting whatsoever I painstakingly managed to produce my first masterpiece after nearly 2 days of cutting, re cutting and never ending attempts to glue the bas***d bits back together I had my first ever segmented pen blank.

Kit selected and blank drilled with no problems whatsoever it was time for the lathe.

First touch of the chisel I had a dig in and the fu****g lousy segmented lump of sh**e cracked into more pieces than I started with.

WEll done Vic glue them all back together and you will have a multi segmented pen :funny::funny::funny::funny:

Buckeye
14-01-16, 22:50
I bet you are glad you made a dozen or so blanks, you did didn't you Vic?

Peter

Lons
14-01-16, 23:46

:funny::funny::funny: been there Vic. :winking:

Bammer
15-01-16, 00:06

All I can say is ... SNAP

Fingers covered in glue, clamps covered in glue, loads of small bits of wood all over the place ........

and bugger all to show for it ...:vangry:

Macaronytony
15-01-16, 06:15
Not just me then. Glued blank up with CA left it in the clamps a good 15min, removed it checked it over all looked OK. Left it on the bench to fully cure, next day was stuck fast to the bench? Still no idea where the glue came from, broke the blank trying to free it with hammer and scrapper....

Sent from my Galaxy 6

Dalboy
15-01-16, 10:06
At this rate those of us that have managed to get something made have a chance of winning:face:

chas_41_uk
15-01-16, 12:49
At this rate those of us that have managed to get something made have a chance of winning

I know Peter said January. But did he say which year :thinks::whistling:

Johnwhitlock
16-01-16, 06:29
Well I have completed what I thought was going too be my competition entry but I'm not happy with it, can't put my finger on why though so might have too try again lol, O well back too chasing the perfect pen

Jim
16-01-16, 09:11
Here is a supplier of coloured segmenting material (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coloured-Plastic-Sheets-/262233599794?hash=item3d0e572f32:g:Rp0AAOSwe-FU5J~P) i don't know if he has bigger sheets .. :winking:

bellringer
16-01-16, 09:23
Not really thought about my one yet

Woody
16-01-16, 09:40
I'm going to turn numbers 5 & 6 don't know what all the fuss is about I never use clamps just masking tape and never stand a glued up blank directly on the bench well hardly ever LOL I ended up selling 3 & 4 or was it 1 & 2 today hang on I'm having a senior moment wheres Smiffy when I need him Oh well I'm of to play Byyyyyyyyyyyyy

Buckeye
16-01-16, 09:43
Can someone help, I have had an enquiry on how to reduce the image to 800 pixels. As I only use Apple computers I have no idea how you would go about making the image 800 pixels on other systems.

Peter

wm460
16-01-16, 09:52

Peter

Or go for a pi55:funny::funny:

wm460
16-01-16, 09:52
Here is a supplier of coloured segmenting material (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coloured-Plastic-Sheets-/262233599794?hash=item3d0e572f32:g:Rp0AAOSwe-FU5J~P) i don't know if he has bigger sheets .. :winking:

:funny::funny::funny::funny:

Buckeye
16-01-16, 10:07
I have just found an online resizing site which seems to work okay.

http://resizepiconline.com/en

Peter

Johnwhitlock
16-01-16, 10:08
Thanks very much Peter

Woody
16-01-16, 10:13
I resize mine on windows photo

Buckeye
16-01-16, 10:17
I resize mine on windows photo

Is it obvious how to do it or do you need to read through instructions?

Peter

Woody
16-01-16, 10:26
Is it obvious how to do it or do you need to read through instructions?

Peter

Just click on the photo in question then click on edit top right then then you get a new window with your photo on it click on resize top left which will give you another small window click on pixel and type in the size you want and save it is so easy it has to be for me to do it LOL good luck mate

Buckeye
16-01-16, 10:33
Thanks for that, it sounds simple enough, but the online resizer was really simple.

Peter

Dalboy
16-01-16, 10:41
Just click on the photo in question then click on edit top right then then you get a new window with your photo on it click on resize top left which will give you another small window click on pixel and type in the size you want and save it is so easy it has to be for me to do it LOL good luck mate

what program is that Woody as mine does not have a edit button. I would have to either use photobucket or picasa

Cancel that just seen which you use, must learn to read posts better:goesred::goesred::goesred:

Woody
16-01-16, 11:03
what program is that Woody as mine does not have a edit button. I would have to either use photobucket or picasa

Cancel that just seen which you use, must learn to read posts better:goesred::goesred::goesred:

In your photos folder click on home top left then you will get a toolbar come up and the edit is on the right hand side

Buckeye
16-01-16, 13:23
Still plenty of time left to enter the competition, but don't let that fool you into thinking you can do it tomorrow. There is still only one entry so far so make sure you get your pen done and get it in, don't forget that a lot of us are getting on a bit and forget things like actually sending the photos in:duh:

If you are new to segmenting take a leaf out of Vic's book and make 10 or more blanks at the same time, just in case, or buy/swap some if you aren't able to make your own. Don't forget if you don't win a place, you will get a point just for entering, which will go towards the great end of year count up, if any of us are sober enough to do the sums:pint:

Peter

Bammer
16-01-16, 20:07
Sort of had a relative bit of success, I don't like em but the guv does .. :banghead::banghead:

Buckeye
16-01-16, 20:40
Sort of had a relative bit of success, I don't like em but the guv does .. :banghead::banghead:

If it wins you can say it was the quality of the turning and if it doesn't you can say it was because of the blank, it's a win win.

Peter

wm460
16-01-16, 21:33
I have a beauty blank I bought can I cheat and use it.:devil:

Buckeye
19-01-16, 12:14
Just a reminder that you have 13 days left, including today, to get your entry in to the segmenting competition, good luck.

Remember to check the following before sending the photos;

No props in photos.
Pen orientation as previously shown.
800 pixels width.
Plain white paper background.
Name of penkit and materials used in the blank.

Peter

Macaronytony
19-01-16, 17:02
Need help!! Done the pen, done the photographs now how do I put a picture in a PM??
It asks for a URL, can't I just upload from the computer.. :sob:

Woody
19-01-16, 17:10
Need help!! Done the pen, done the photographs now how do I put a picture in a PM??
It asks for a URL, can't I just upload from the computer.. :sob:

Just click on the paper clip in the top row next to the smiley

Macaronytony
19-01-16, 17:16
Woody you're a diamond.. :thumbs: Messed about for 20 minutes trying to work that out.
Cheers mate..

Dalboy
19-01-16, 17:36
Can someone tell me how to make a blank and turn a pen:whistling::whistling::whistling:

Buckeye
19-01-16, 17:41
Stare into space for hours on end then using tongues only turn the pen when it is half baked:face:

Peter

Woody
19-01-16, 17:49
Can someone tell me how to make a blank and turn a pen:whistling::whistling::whistling:

Just like that :drool::drool:

Penpal
19-01-16, 19:14
Slowly and with great care.,mix the ingredients of preparation, preparation and throw in heaps of skill then its repeatable.

Peter

Lons
19-01-16, 19:52
Peters' ears must have been burning...again...today.
Had 4 goes so far which resulted in 3 complete failures and 1 so so. :sob: Missus likes it but she's half blind and easily pleased.:whistling:
Dunno if I can face another one...well not tonight anyway.:winking:

Dalboy
19-01-16, 21:12
Not done any work on the pen for the last 2 days central heating pump packed up had the fitter in system would not bleed and had a load of air in the system he found a partially blocked pipe which meant that a 1 hour job lasted nearly 1 1/2 days. Luckily we are covered on our insurance. Has now taken me all day to get warm again.

Bammer
19-01-16, 21:59
Tried again .................... fail :sob::sob::sob:

wm460
20-01-16, 06:57
Just a reminder that you have 13 days left, including today,

Peter

Bleeding Heck I need more time than that.:2cry::2cry:

Buckeye
20-01-16, 19:01
Just a reminder that you have 11 days left, including today, what is left of it, to get your entry in to the segmenting competition, good luck.

No props in photos.
800 pixels width.

Peter

TaylorsMirfield.co.uk
21-01-16, 12:59
Well that's me out. Good luck allhttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/21/2915e41c774fb60fa4924353507b27ac.jpg

Woody
21-01-16, 13:43
Do you want one of these Dan :funny::funny:

Buckeye
21-01-16, 14:30
Well that's me out. Good luck allhttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/21/2915e41c774fb60fa4924353507b27ac.jpg

Glue it back together or put some extra wood on the ends, don't give up:thumbs:

Peter

TaylorsMirfield.co.uk
21-01-16, 14:59
Glue it back together or put some extra wood on the ends, don't give up:thumbs:

Peter
I feel a broken and defeated man!

Lons
21-01-16, 15:11
Glue it back together or put some extra wood on the ends, don't give up:thumbs: Peter

Nah, that's no good Peter. We all know whos' it is now and that it's been botched. :funny:

Don't give up Dan, I'm on my 5th attempt. :goesred:......so far :whistling:

Buckeye
21-01-16, 18:08
Nah, that's no good Peter. We all know whos' it is now and that it's been botched. :funny:

Don't give up Dan, I'm on my 5th attempt. :goesred:......so far :whistling:

That's true, I hadn't thought of that, get making another one Dan.

Peter

Jim
21-01-16, 18:27
Well that's me out. Good luck all

[img]http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/21/2915e41c774fb60fa4924353507b27ac.jpg

That really is bad luck Dan, i know the work involved in making these herringbone blanks, but straight back at it my friend .. During the last two weekends i have had three blow outs, so now i am playing safe .. :wink:

GeordieB
21-01-16, 18:33
My blanks are glued up now going to drill and turn them this weekend if you all listen carefully you might hear me swearing :whistling:

Penpal
21-01-16, 19:49
No easy task good luck.

Peter.

wm460
21-01-16, 20:21
I think on the week end I will drown my sorrows instead.:pint::pint:

Bammer
21-01-16, 21:59
I feel a broken and defeated man!

Funny, I've felt like that at least 3 times over the last 2 weeks :sob::sob:

TaylorsMirfield.co.uk
21-01-16, 22:35
Funny, I've felt like that at least 3 times over the last 2 weeks :sob::sob:

I will have another go tomorrow on a different one

PhillH
22-01-16, 13:28
Do you want one of these Dan :funny::funny:

Yeah, but the one without the fault in ! :ciggrin::ciggrin:

Got a long memory me. :funny:

Buckeye
22-01-16, 17:07
Just a reminder that you have 9 days left, including today, what is left of it, to get your entry in to the segmenting competition, good luck.

No props in photos.
800 pixels width.

Peter

Buckeye
24-01-16, 11:12
Just a reminder that you have 7 days left, including today, what is left of it, to get your entry in to the segmenting competition, good luck.

No props in photos.
800 pixels width.

You may have made your pen for the competition, but unless you pm it to me, it will not be in the competition.

There are only 2 pens entered so far, so don't forget yours.

Peter

billyb_imp
24-01-16, 13:21
Things aren't going well, back to the drawing board again :thinks: :whistling::whistling:

Buckeye
24-01-16, 16:13
Things aren't going well, back to the drawing board again :thinks: :whistling::whistling:

That's what I like, never say die:thumbs:

Peter

GeordieB
24-01-16, 16:56
First attempt nearly finished 2nd attempt no where near finished should have started earlier

Bob Ellis
24-01-16, 17:07
After much blood, sweat and tears, my entry has been completed and the photos have been sent off to Peter. :phew:

Jim
24-01-16, 18:53
Definitely a curse on this Comp, i have done hundreds of segmented pens over the years but never had the issues that i have had getting one ready for this comp ..:goesred:

Finally got one finished today, it just needs to be put together and photographed .. :winking:

Neil Lawton
24-01-16, 19:00
Definitely a curse on this Comp, i have done hundreds of segmented pens over the years but never had the issues that i have had getting one ready for this comp ..:goesred:

Finally got one finished today, it just needs to be put together and photographed .. :winking:

Maybe the time of year Jim?
Not many adhesives are good in cold or damp, not many Turners appreciate it either!:thinks::funny:

Buckeye
24-01-16, 20:30
Maybe the time of year Jim?
Not many adhesives are good in cold or damp, not many Turners appreciate it either!:thinks::funny:

It can't be cold and damp in Jim's new palace of a workshop.

Peter

Buckeye
24-01-16, 20:31

A lesser man would have given up, I am glad you didn't, when I get your photos we will have 4 in the competition:funny:

Peter

Lons
24-01-16, 21:13
Another day, another 2 failures.:sob: I've given up, gonna make something much simpler. :rolling:

Buckeye
24-01-16, 21:39
Another day, another 2 failures.:sob: I've given up, gonna make something much simpler. :rolling:

Instead of some complicated segmented wonder, why don't you go for something simple and spectacular like a celtic cross:whistling:

Peter

wm460
24-01-16, 21:51
I might laminate some timber on a brass tube.:thinks::tongue:

Lons
24-01-16, 21:52
Instead of some complicated segmented wonder, why don't you go for something simple and spectacular like a celtic cross:whistling:

Peter

If I do that now Peter, everyone will know it's me :funny: I've got a couple made that I could put in, just not completely happy with either of them.

It's glue failures that have caused the problem for me, I guess cold, damp and impatience aren't good bedfellows. :whistling:

Buckeye
24-01-16, 22:18
If I do that now Peter, everyone will know it's me :funny: I've got a couple made that I could put in, just not completely happy with either of them.

It's glue failures that have caused the problem for me, I guess cold, damp and impatience aren't good bedfellows. :whistling:

Fix a 40w bulb into a biscuit tin and leave your glued up blanks inside for a few hours or overnight if you can bear to wait, it works well.

Peter

Dalboy
24-01-16, 23:13
Failing that glue up in the kitchen last thing, but do put old newspaper down or there could be trouble ahead and the competition will be the last thing on your mind:whistling:

Bill Mooney
24-01-16, 23:18
I'm down at Llandudno so not able to make a pen for this comp. unfortunately.

Buckeye
25-01-16, 00:08
I'm down at Llandudno so not able to make a pen for this comp. unfortunately.

You can only do what is possible, so don't sweat it. Get out of Wales soon, the American storm is about to hit:sob:

Peter

Dalboy
25-01-16, 14:06
So Peter when are you going to start a new post "The best excuse for not entering":funny::funny::funny:.

I know some have very good reasons

Bammer
25-01-16, 17:29
So Peter when are you going to start a new post "The best excuse for not entering":funny::funny::funny:.

Now there's a comp I could win :funny::funny:

Buckeye
25-01-16, 19:24

There are now 6 entries into the segmented comp and still 6 days to go including today.

The best excuse comp may have to wait until the end of the year so that we get a whole year of sob stories and the one that makes all the committee cry at the same time could end up the winner and the winner would win the right to buy the committee luxury goods:praying:

Peter

Jim
25-01-16, 19:38
Now there's a comp I could win :funny::funny:

Or come joint 1st with 40+ others .. :funny:

Bob Ellis
25-01-16, 21:17
I couldn't think of a good excuse, so I had to submit an entry! :sob:

wm460
25-01-16, 21:45
This is my excuse.

http://www.penturners.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15248

Dont have the time now.:face:

Buckeye
25-01-16, 22:04
This is my excuse.

http://www.penturners.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15248

Dont have the time now.:face:

Have you ever entered one of the comps, I can't remember that you have:thinks:

Peter

Buckeye
26-01-16, 14:41
Just 5 more days to go including today, get your photo's in soon:thumbs:

Peter

Gizmo3k
26-01-16, 15:21
Hmm, 5 days to think of something, try it, fail, try again, fail again, throw it away, try something else and probably fail with that too.

Where do I sign up? :wink:

Not sure if I will get anything done for this one unfortunately, but you never know. Got a vase on the lathe at the moment that I don't want to take off the chuck until I have the finishing done, but if I get that done I will see what I can do!

Lons
26-01-16, 16:44
Got a vase on the lathe at the moment that I don't want to take off the chuck until I have the finishing done, but if I get that done I will see what I can do!

You won't win the "best excuse comp" with that one Alan, chucks can be removed and put back on the lathe without removing the vase:whistling: Anyway as is often said, pens can be turned between centres :ciggrin:

Not that I can say much as I haven't submitted anything yet :goesred:

Buckeye
26-01-16, 18:32
You won't win the "best excuse comp" with that one Alan, chucks can be removed and put back on the lathe without removing the vase:whistling: Anyway as is often said, pens can be turned between centres :ciggrin:

Not that I can say much as I haven't submitted anything yet :goesred:

I do like that word, it brings hope:thumbs:

Peter

Buckeye
27-01-16, 12:52
Nobody spotted the deliberate mistake yesterday, so that prize is gone:bwink:

There's still 5 days to go including today to get your winning entry in:banana:

Peter

Gizmo3k
27-01-16, 13:20
Ah, but I need the chuck to drill the blank out...

Lons
27-01-16, 21:51
Well there's only one word that describes todays' efforts.... ARGHHHHHH :vangry::sob:

Buckeye
28-01-16, 12:03
Sunday is the final day and your photos have to reach me by midnight, UK time. Still plenty of time to knock out a few blanks and get the winning pen photographed:thumbs:

No props in photos.
800 pixels width.

Peter

Bammer
28-01-16, 14:33
How many days left now Buckeye ......... :funny::funny::funny:

Buckeye
28-01-16, 18:26
How many days left now Buckeye ......... :funny::funny::funny:

Just for you, two:thumbs:

Peter

Bammer
28-01-16, 20:42
Finally solved a problem I have been having, only to have a blow out on the drill ...:sob::sob::sob::sob:

Buckeye
28-01-16, 22:21
Finally solved a problem I have been having, only to have a blow out on the drill ...:sob::sob::sob::sob:

Have you thought about taking up knitting:whistling:

Peter

Lons
28-01-16, 22:34
Have you thought about taking up knitting:whistling:

Peter

Hmmm...Should we be practicing for a knitted pen comp Peter? :whistling:

Buckeye
28-01-16, 22:57
Hmmm...Should we be practicing for a knitted pen comp Peter? :whistling:

Now that would be a challenge, if you want to run it I will blow the dust off my needles:thumbs:

Peter

Dalboy
28-01-16, 23:13
Now that would be a challenge, if you want to run it I will blow the dust off my needles:thumbs:

Peter

Can I cheat and get the wife to do mine she is better than me.

Buckeye
28-01-16, 23:18
You could, but your wife could enter her own knitted pen:whistling:

Peter

Buckeye
30-01-16, 11:03
It's almost over, just today and tomorrow left to get your winning creation to me.

No props in photos.
800 pixels width.

Peter

donwatson
30-01-16, 13:07
I am sorry Peter, but nothing coming from me. :sob:

Buckeye
30-01-16, 19:17
I am sorry Peter, but nothing coming from me. :sob:

Don't worry Don, you can only do what you can do, although there is still tomorrow, so you could knock up six of the best and let the wife choose which one to enter:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Peter

GeordieB
30-01-16, 20:04
Mine should be sorted for tomorrow nowt like cutting it fine

Dalboy
30-01-16, 20:43
Should I have started mine by now:whistling::whistling::whistling:

Buckeye
30-01-16, 21:31
Mine should be sorted for tomorrow nowt like cutting it fine

That's good news, it won't be oak based by any chance?

Should I have started mine by now:whistling::whistling::whistling:

Only if you need extra time, there's plenty of time tomorrow to whip up a storm.

Peter

Buckeye
31-01-16, 11:40
Don't panic, you still have today left to get your masterpiece turned, photographed and PMd to me. Midnight UK time is the deadline, 1 minute past 12 and your pen turns into a pumpkin.

No props in photos.
800 pixels width.

Peter

Penpal
31-01-16, 18:04
Peter I note with interest over 3700 people have viewed this competition so far and I am guessing a large number when the results are published a marvellous result of your hard work and dedication the internal remarks are so numerous as well thank you in your new task on the forum.

Peter.

Bigblackdog
31-01-16, 18:13
i am enjoying making mine, but it is more than likely going to be March before it is finished. if it doesn't explode at some point.

Buckeye
31-01-16, 18:30
Peter I note with interest over 3700 people have viewed this competition so far and I am guessing a large number when the results are published a marvellous result of your hard work and dedication the internal remarks are so numerous as well thank you in your new task on the forum.

Peter.

No, that is over 3700 views not people. It could be 3600 views are mine and only 100 are from others combined. I don't know that this is my task, I have enjoyed doing it, but any of the other committee members could run the competitions, if they wish. I do think Competitions will attract people to join the forum and take part in the community also by entering the competitions, especially when we get enough money together to offer things like Chucks, tools etc as prizes.

oooh, it's exciting, only a few more hours to go and then tomorrow all the entries will be open to scrutiny and members will be tearing their hair out (those of us who have some) over which one to vote for.

Good luck everyone, I wonder who will be the last to enter the competition before the deadline.

Peter

wm460
01-02-16, 07:40
i am enjoying making mine, but it is more than likely going to be March before it is finished. if it doesn't explode at some point.

I know that feeling.:sob::sob: