• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

First Attempt at Celtic Knot

Gav

Registered
First Name
Gavin
As above, I had a go with my sliding mitre saw, and am quite happy with the result, however the method is quite agricultural, so I have a few questions.....

I managed to set the depth so not to saw all the way through the blank, however, if I was to saw through the blank, what would the pitfalls be, as I'm now limited to the 2.5mm kerf of my saw blade.

How do you fine folk get stock to a very thin and even thickness?

Has anyone tried more than 4 cuts?

Thank you for your input/advice/abuse!

Gav

2013-08-30 18.10.15 - Copy.jpg

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
it looks good to do thinner i use a bandsaw and there is a tutorial on the iap to do a 6 piece knot

Jim

Grand Master
That isn't a bad effort Gav, but i agree that a big kerfed cross doesn't look as tidy as a smaller one does due to the small size of the pens circumference .. I used to have one of these but i got fed up of it taking up space as i hardly ever used it, it is a cheapo compared to a band saw ... :ciggrin:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
That isn't a bad effort Gav, but i agree that a big kerfed cross doesn't look as tidy as a smaller one does due to the small size of the pens circumference .. I used to have one of these but i got fed up of it taking up space as i hardly ever used it, it is a cheapo compared to a band saw ... :ciggrin:
I too use one o dem.
Have you thought about jnr hacksaw I appreciate a lot work and all hand job but the results could be good. I have used a small model makers saw in the past looks like a tenon saw but much smaller, I'll try to find and post a pic.

Ian

Apprentice Member
I have just turn my first one today as a pen. I made a small mitre box 2 sides on a bottom about 200mm long 6omm wide and 50mm above the bottom fore the sides marked the 45 degree by hand with with a panel saw place the full length pen blank in hold it place with a cramp and make your cuts. I used veneer as it was the same thickness as the saw it is easyer to glue up if you only cut to about 1 or 2 mm left on. I was surprised at how well it turned out :ciggrin:

Ian

Gav

Registered
First Name
Gavin
Another question.....

If I cut the whole way through the blank, and then insert a thinner piece than the 2.5mm kerf, what would I then need to do to ensure a uniform knot?

OK, I know I'm an Engineer and should be able to work this out in seconds:whistling:, but some of you cleverer people must have done this before?!

Gav

Ian

Apprentice Member
Hi Gav I'm not an engineer but here's my No8 wire suggestion place a fine locating mark along 1 face of the blank drill the blank to the size of a nail or piece of rod then each time you cut and glue, drill the insert and line it all up on the rod then clamp it up. Might work :nooidea: have a go nothing lost.

Ian

Jim

Grand Master
The idea Gav, is to replace what you take out, if your inlays are a different size to your cut then the cross will not be uniformed ...

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Gav, You stimulated heaps of discussion enjoy the ride however I enjoyed your knot. All part of learning I guess Jim no excuse even you could fit that tiny saw in your new shed.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

Gav

Registered
First Name
Gavin
The idea Gav, is to replace what you take out, if your inlays are a different size to your cut then the cross will not be uniformed ...

Yeah, i worked that one out! Thankfully on one of my computer drawing programs, so no wood wasted!

Right, one last question, I promise, and if it is covered elsewhere, please point me in the right direction!

How do you get pieces of wood so thin, and then work with them?!

2.5mm was achievable with a thin slice from my mitre saw (no bandsaw or table saw available) so am I looking at buying veneer?

Thank you all for your input and opinions, this place is amazing!

Gav

Jim

Grand Master
Other than a band saw i can't help you Gav as this is all i use, or you can buy different sized plastics a these do the job well ... :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).