• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Help!

Gav

Registered
First Name
Gavin
Turned 4 pens as gifts for my Sister's wedding, and one has gone a bit wrong.

Advice please on how I could rectify this, if indeed it is possible!

DSC01062 - Copy.JPG

White spots and dulling of the finish, it's walnut and has been finished with 6 or so coats of CA.

Thankfully, the others were OK!

DSC01057 - Copy.JPG

Any help much appreciated.

Gav

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
^^^
| | |

What he said. Either you got moisture in the CA, or the wood had some residual moisture in it. Either way, it accelerated the cure to such an extent that the CA boiled in those spots, causing the white spots. It's a b*gger, but its one of the hazards of working with CA. You will now get a string of replies telling you to toss your CA in the bin and finish your pens with something else in future!

:mooney2::mooney2::mooney2:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Best advise already given complete with vid what a wonderful board.
Nice pens all the same Gav well presented in those cool boxes, lucky recipients when you get that one sorted.

Gav

Registered
First Name
Gavin
Thank you all, I'm heading out to the garage shortly.

I've got to wait for the kids to go to sleep else they'll learn all sorts of new naughty words!!:eeeeek:

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry

Jim

Grand Master
What did you use on the blank before using the CA Gav? It looks like some crap has got in the grain .... :nooidea:

Gav

Registered
First Name
Gavin
Update,

Managed to get the blank separated, don't ask how, health and safety might be looking:face:, got it back on the lathe and sanded carefully, but by the time I'd sanded and re-finished, I still wasn't happy, I'd lost a bit too much of the diameter, so off with the wood back to the tube and back to the beginning.

Never realised how many swear words I knew:thinks:

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
Update,

Managed to get the blank separated, don't ask how, health and safety might be looking:face:, got it back on the lathe and sanded carefully, but by the time I'd sanded and re-finished, I still wasn't happy, I'd lost a bit too much of the diameter, so off with the wood back to the tube and back to the beginning.

Never realised how many swear words I knew:thinks:

i had a moment like that yesterday

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).