• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

The colour of brass

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
What type of paint have you found best to paint the brass tubes with before gluing in acrylic blanks ?

Gav

Registered
First Name
Gavin
I've used pink for a pink blank, but then glued it with CA.

It did look good in the areas that the CA hadn't messed up the paint, and I think better than it would have with white paint.

Am I right in saying that epoxy is better for gluing in painted tubes?

The paint was a spray from B&Q, can't remember the make, sorry!

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I bought a cheap set of kiddies pastile paints from poundland, never let me down yet but then I don't use them under wood blanks.
Poke the plastics for me but some people love em i know.

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi, Ed,

On the few tubes I've painted the CA spoiled the finish and the mess could be seen through the acrylic blank. Mind you, if you DON'T paint the tube the glue is still gonna show! Stuff it, I'm gonna take up needlework!

Bob.

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Hi, Ed,

On the few tubes I've painted the CA spoiled the finish and the mess could be seen through the acrylic blank. Mind you, if you DON'T paint the tube the glue is still gonna show! Stuff it, I'm gonna take up needlework!

Bob.

Correct Bob this hobby gets a bit bloody complicated at times ........pass me a needle .:winking:

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
Hi, Ed,

Bob.

I dont use CA any more, I only use Aradite epoxy now.
Also I paint the inside of the blank as well.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
No need to glue the tube into any plastic, put the blank in the freezer overnight.
Using the correct sized drill bit, drill the blank while still frozen being extra careful of blowout.
Insert tube while still frozen, when that warms up there'll be no shifting the tube.
Paint the inside of the blank with a cotton bud.
Turn when blank at room temperature it will be less brittle.
I said I wasn't gonna give advise on plastics so ignore the above and carry on gluing.

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Ed, I use Halfords spray primer as it is designed to stick to raw metal and does the job. I tend to use the colour nearest the blank, and I find that black (top coat as it is impossible to get primer black - unless anyone knows better) intensifies the colour of the blank, works particulalry well with the purple/crocus whatever it is called by the many suppliers. Top coat spray on its own without the primer scratches off when you stick the tube in the blank.

sbwertz

First Name
Sharon
The exact same blank can look completely different depending on the color of the tube (and or painting the inside of the blank) A black or other dark colored tube will darken the blank tremendously. Here are a pair of pens done from exactly the same blank, but with one tube painted pink, the other blue. (Photo courtesy of IAP).

Attachments

• 1_PEN_342_sm.jpg
    1_PEN_342_sm.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 19

sbwertz

First Name
Sharon
Many people paint the inside of the blank instead of the tube if the acrylic is very transparent. If you paint the blank, you cannot see the glue that holds the tube in place. If the blank is very translucent, the glue can show through the blank if the tube is painted. But if you paint the inside of the blank, the glue cannot be seen.

Here is a link to a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3BUPv3jbYc

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).