• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

This hybrid SlimStream was going to be my segmented competition entry but.......

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
This was going to be my segmented competition entry but.......

The nib end is a little under turned and worse still Margaret says it looks like a cheap plastic pen you might get in a Poundshop, so back to the drawing board, a shame really because a lot of thought went into it and an awful lot of work.

The pen kit / kits are part slimline & part streamline, without using either centre band. The blank is made up of a white 6mm corian centre sandwiched between 2 pieces of black corian.

The bottom Part of the pen fitting inside the top part without the use of a centre band allowing for the twist action

One thing is for sure if I where to make these for sale, they would be costing far more than a normal streamline / slimline, loads of time / work spent on it.

B&W hybrid slimstream (1 of 3).jpgB&W hybrid slimstream (2 of 3).jpg
B&W hybrid slimstream (3 of 3).jpg

Bigblackdog

Registered
First Name
Mark
i like the idea, but tend to agree that it doesn't look like a premium pen at first glance. A shame because it is very well done, and if you had not mentioned the slight under turning, i would have struggled to see it. As i look back and study it properly, I can tell that it is hand made from subtle details, but that is from somebody who has made pens, not a potential customer.

One of my challenges, particularly when designing with non-wood, i.e. acrylic or others, is the issue with the output looking like something mass produced. Solid colours are harder, in my opinion.
the other challenge, to me is to not produce something that looks like a tube- straight lines and tapers on the pen.

I may have to rethink mine now- it is completely different, but the sandwich concept is similar. It will take me forever though and miss the comp in any case but i still want to have a go at segmenting!

TK woodman

Graduate Member
First Name
Tony
That's a great pen Billy and you should have put it in comp the segmenting is spot on - of course it wouldn't have won simple because no one votes for workmanship in the comps just the colour of the wood but it sounds like blackdogs going to win with his pro comments

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Bad luck Billy :sob:

All good experience, or so I keep getting told when things don't go to plan :rant:

Vic Perrin

Executive Member
First Name
Vic
Despite the faults that you have pointed out (I can't see em) I think it's a great effort Billy a fine looking pen

:thumbs:

Macaronytony

Graduate Member
First Name
Tony
It's a nice looking pen with a go faster stripe.. :thumbs:
I can appreciate the work that's gone into it, maybe same design with the corian sandwiched between some nice wood. :thinks:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Its a pleasant experience I would use that for my everyday pen for a while reminding you it was not an easy task and it could become a light bulb moment in the future.

Peter.

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
Its a pleasant experience I would use that for my everyday pen for a while reminding you it was not an easy task and it could become a light bulb moment in the future.

Peter.

Thats a good idea Peter, if I where to make more / sell these I may be concerned that there might be a problem with the join in the middle (at the twist), I fear the top bit may crack due to how thin it is, not sure that a wood blank done in the same way would stand up to a lot of use.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Nothing wrong with that Billy sometimes I can make 6 pens before I'm happy with a design same with this compo I have made 6 pens so far but not completely happy with any of them

Jim

Grand Master
That is a shame Billy, i like the pen and it's shape .. I also know where you are coming from regarding the time and effort that is needed when making these pens .. :thumbs:

Bammer

Fellow
First Name
Brad
I like it, but then I know how much work went into it, I'm sure it weighs more than a cheap plastic pen.

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
That's a shame Billy, because I love the shape of it. Take Margaret round the pen department in John Lewis. She'll be surprised at how un-poundland some pens look when you move the decimal pointy a few places.

billyb_imp

Registered
First Name
Billy
That's a shame Billy, because I love the shape of it. Take Margaret round the pen department in John Lewis. She'll be surprised at how un-poundland some pens look when you move the decimal pointy a few places.

Thanks Phil, I am going to have another go at similar design & makeup & shape and maybe in different colours, the more I look at it the more I like it :thinks::thinks:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).