PDA

View Full Version : Calling all new Turners

Buckeye
30-01-16, 13:20
If you are new to turning and have turned less than 5 pens/pencil/keyrings on your lathe you could enter into a new competition being devised for new turners.

If you would be interested in entering the competition please PM me so that we can see how many people would like to be involved.

If you are already a turner who is just new to pens then this competition is not for you.

Peter

Buckeye
06-02-16, 15:14
That's week and in that time there have been no PMs from new turners, lets try another week.

Peter

Bigblackdog
06-02-16, 16:34
we don't tend to get that many "I am brand new to turning" members on here, unlike other forums.

It is worth a try, but less than 5 pens sets the threshold pretty low to qualify for it.

Buckeye
06-02-16, 17:57
we don't tend to get that many "I am brand new to turning" members on here, unlike other forums.

It is worth a try, but less than 5 pens sets the threshold pretty low to qualify for it.

Yes that is a problem, I suppose it does depend on whether you turn 1 pen every few months or so or if you spend several hours a day turning pens, I know that when I started every available hour was spent on the lathe I was so addicted to it. I would finish work and spend 4 or 5 hours at the lathe, just stopping for a cuppa and a sandwich. I am not sure there is any way in which to have a competition that would be fair to all new turners, perhaps it is just wishful thinking.

Peter

Bigblackdog
06-02-16, 18:31
it is a good question.

I am relatively new to it, and have enjoyed having a go at the january comp. I am yet to finish my effort, due to work commitments, and it wouldn't have won a prize compared to the others, but it was fun. sometimes, you just want telling what to make- I wouldn't have tried segmenting yet otherwise.

Buckeye
06-02-16, 18:40
I think you have hit the nail on the head, just jump in and broaden your experience, being out of the comfort zone can bring great rewards. You can never judge what will win a prize.

Peter

Penpal
07-02-16, 01:07
New Turners unite.

Peter.

wm460
07-02-16, 12:23
I havent turned a pen this year does that make me a new turner, I feel like it.:sob: