PDA

View Full Version : January Competition 2016 Segmenting Entries

Buckeye
31-01-16, 21:57
Please do not comment on any of the individual entries. The voting will start from Midnight Sunday and will run for 7 days. Each member of the forum has 1 vote and may not vote for their own pen.

If you don't know how to vote look at this link http://www.penturners.co.uk/showthread.php?t=538 Remember you only have 1 vote.

Good luck to everyone who entered.

Peter

Buckeye
31-01-16, 21:59
Black plastic with Rosewood and mottled Ash, Epsilon kit.

Buckeye
31-01-16, 22:02
Kit: chrome Omega f/p with gunmetal section
Wood: Zabrano and African Black Wood
Other Materials: Aluminium, Black Plastic and Corian

Buckeye
31-01-16, 22:04
Australian Sierra Elegant Beauty, herringbone kit from Lazerlinez comprising 51 separate pieces of Maple, Cocobolo and African Blackwood. It was coated with CA glue polished through to 12000 grit Micromesh and finished with Hut Ultragloss Plastic Polish.

Buckeye
31-01-16, 22:06
Epsilon Kit. The woods used are American Black Walnut, Oak, Ash, Beech and 1 unknown wood.

Buckeye
31-01-16, 22:08
Cigar pen with She Oak and I think Sycamore but maybe Maple.

Buckeye
31-01-16, 22:09
Sierra in Corian

Buckeye
31-01-16, 22:12
Slimline Kit made as an all in one, blank is a part of a chopping board block, cut through middle and segmented with a plastic insert.

Buckeye
31-01-16, 22:14
A Slimline Chrome, Black Plastic, Maple & Padauk (I think!) With an acrylic finish.

Buckeye
31-01-16, 22:15
Magnetic Graduate, Mesquite with curly maple and mahogany veneer.

Buckeye
31-01-16, 22:17
Slimline. This pen is made of crop ends of acrylic blanks segmented at 45 degrees. It takes 7 separate pieces to make the blank.

Buckeye
31-01-16, 22:18
Kit is Gold plated Baron. Pau Amarillo segmented with Padauk and Aluminium. The cross is made up from 4 different colours of 0.2 plastic, but unfortunately it shows as a dark colour.

Buckeye
31-01-16, 22:20
Streamline Kit. Material used in blank unknown, around 15 plus timbers involved.

Buckeye
31-01-16, 22:22
Omega in Gunmetal. Padauk and Yew.

Buckeye
31-01-16, 22:24
Jr. Gent Oak Walnut and African Blackwood.

Buckeye
31-01-16, 22:26
Sedona chrome kit. Blank is aluminium plate / walnut / ash sandwich with aluminium tube / blackwood dowel filler through . I filled the ash grain with sealer & dust mix before sanding to pronounce the grain with final finish of sanding sealer and wax.

Phil Dart
01-02-16, 08:19
What a great uptake you've had for this competition Peter. All fabulous pens and a difficult choice. My vote is cast - good luck to everyone. You all have a great deal more patience and segmenting skills than me.

Buckeye
01-02-16, 11:13
What a great uptake you've had for this competition Peter. All fabulous pens and a difficult choice. My vote is cast - good luck to everyone. You all have a great deal more patience and segmenting skills than me.

That's the 2nd. time we have had 15 entries so I am well pleased with the participation, but aim for higher in the next one. I'm glad I don't have to vote except in a tie. I think that's the one I would vote for then I see another and then another, it's difficult.

Peter

bassethound
01-02-16, 13:09
Blimey what a bloody job to decide, done now but took ages to decide, they are all so well done! :thumbs::thumbs:

Macaronytony
01-02-16, 15:42
Can't recall how many times I've looked at these, some stunning pens...:thumbs:
Done my bit now.

ni9eofse7en
01-02-16, 15:49
Some cracking work here boys and girls, difficult to pick a winner. :claps:

chas_41_uk
01-02-16, 16:38
Some stunning pens guys :thumbs:

Dalboy
01-02-16, 16:43
Well still looking and have cut it down to 4 contenders, not easy as there are so many great pen turners.

donwatson
01-02-16, 18:24
Some superb pens here. Have not decided yet on my favourite.

Woody
01-02-16, 18:52
Wow I think they are all winners gentlemen your amazing there is some real skill there well done to everyone especially Peter for putting the compo up and for nagging us into submission Im looking forward to seeing who wins now :claps::claps:

Jim
01-02-16, 19:00
Some marvelous work on display Peter, we have some very talented pen turners for sure .. And a big thank you for taking the time to run the comp Peter .. :thumbs:

brody2123
02-02-16, 01:06
Absolutely outstanding collection of pens. I can only imagine how much went into each one. Well done to all who entered :thumbs:

daveygee
02-02-16, 07:41
Is it just me - cannot see "Nominate" button in bottom left.
Was there yesterday but not today....:sob::sob::sob:

wm460
02-02-16, 07:59
Is it just me - cannot see "Nominate" button in bottom left.
Was there yesterday but not today....:sob::sob::sob:

Your not the only one I cant see it either.:scratch_head:

Bammer
02-02-16, 08:19
Bottom left of each post .... choose your pen then hit the nominate button :winking: I think

daveygee
02-02-16, 08:59
Bottom left of each post .... choose your pen then hit the nominate button :winking: I think

Thanks for that Bammer but I just got "Thank for this post"..........:sob::sob:

billyb_imp
02-02-16, 09:18
Everyone a winner, great effort by all, better look through again :thinks:

Lons
02-02-16, 09:35
Great set of entries, a lot of effort and possibly headache gone into those. Well done to everyone who entered. :thumbs:

Thanks for hosting the comp Peter. Felt like being back at school being asked "have you done your homework yet" :devil: :funny:

Buckeye
02-02-16, 10:15
Thanks for that Bammer but I just got "Thank for this post"..........:sob::sob:

Yes, it seems to have disappeared, we will have to wait for Jim to fix it I am afraid.

Great set of entries, a lot of effort and possibly headache gone into those. Well done to everyone who entered. :thumbs:

Thanks for hosting the comp Peter. Felt like being back at school being asked "have you done your homework yet" :devil: :funny:

I prefer to think of it as a gentle nudge as a reminder:funny:

Peter

Lons
02-02-16, 10:19
I prefer to think of it as a gentle nudge as a reminder:funny:Peter

:funny::funny::funny: I used to "nudge" walls over with a mini excavator. Is that what you mean by gentle Peter? :devil::ciggrin:

Buckeye
02-02-16, 10:30
:funny::funny::funny: I used to "nudge" walls over with a mini excavator. Is that what you mean by gentle Peter? :devil::ciggrin:

I told Jim I would need a mini excavator, but he wouldn't let me have one:vangry:

Peter

Gizmo3k
02-02-16, 11:26
I think I have narrowed it down to 2 pens, and by the time the Nominate button reappears I might have it down to one. Some great pens for this competition though - I just wish I had managed to get some time to put in an entry, but even if I had it wouldn't have been in the same class as these!

Bill Mooney
02-02-16, 13:14
A top class competition.:thumbs:

Johnwhitlock
03-02-16, 00:26
Lots of beautiful work here and some too inspire my future segmented projects. Thank you everyone

daveygee
03-02-16, 07:00
Decision made and nomination done.
That was difficult.
Every entry a winner.
Well done done all. :claps::claps::claps:

Baldy
03-02-16, 22:54
Some amazing entries.. could not choose a winner though would be at least 5 I want to pick..

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

billyb_imp
04-02-16, 08:55
Wonderful entries by all, had to look over them several times before coming to my choice, well done to all :thumbs::thumbs:

Also a big thank you to Peter for taking the time to run the completion :thumbs:

Buckeye
06-02-16, 11:51
Right we only have a few days left and we need people to vote, that includes newly joined members you don't need 25 posts to be able to vote. Everybody who made a pen for the competition should also vote, no abstaining so that your vote doesn't go to a competitor.

If you don't vote you will not be able to sleep properly because of the guilt, so do yourself a favour.

Peter

Neil Lawton
08-02-16, 18:18
Do we know who won yet?
I thought the voting finished yesterday.:thinks:

Buckeye
08-02-16, 19:15
Do we know who won yet?
I thought the voting finished yesterday.:thinks:

Originally it was yesterday that it finished, but there was a glitch with the software and Jim had to restart the vote, so it now ends tomorrow at midnight.

At least it will give all those who haven't voted a chance to vote, it is such a shame that people take the time to enter the competition and yet others can't be bothered to vote.

Peter

chas_41_uk
08-02-16, 22:22
it is such a shame that people take the time to enter the competition and yet others can't be bothered to vote

Unfortunately you are right Peter. But it is the same on normal forum posts. You can have a post where it has been viewed 134 times but has less that 20 comments :rolling:

Buckeye
08-02-16, 22:31
At my last count there were 39 votes and yet if you scroll to the bottom of this thread you will see the names of 66 people who have looked at this thread if you take mine out of the mix that's 26 people who have looked, but couldn't be bothered to vote.

Peter

Lons
09-02-16, 00:23
Unfortunately you are right Peter. But it is the same on normal forum posts. You can have a post where it has been viewed 134 times but has less that 20 comments :rolling:

It's a bit different with a "normal" thread Chas as there are many times that people won't post a reply because they feel they have nothing of value to contribute or maybe the subject turns out to be of no interest.
I read many threads and posts but certainly wouldn't reply to all of them - and I'm a gobby git!!:ciggrin: Also I suspect 134 views doesn't mean 134 different members.

if you scroll to the bottom of this thread you will see the names of 66 people who have looked

Can't see that on my screen Peter :nooidea:

Anyway you 26 members better get voting quick - I need all the support I can get :funny::funny:

Buckeye
09-02-16, 00:52
I wonder if that depends on post count privileges. I know I have been able to see who has read the thread for quite some time, I just assumed everyone could see it. Jim will know.

Peter

wm460
09-02-16, 01:28
I wonder if that depends on post count privileges. I know I have been able to see who has read the thread for quite some time, I just assumed everyone could see it. Jim will know.

Peter

Probably moderator privilege, ie Big Brother is watching you.:face:

I cant see that either.

Buckeye
09-02-16, 12:05
No, it's not Mod privileges, I could see who has read a thread for a long time.

Can you see a black bar that says "Members who have read this thread: 66" if so then click on the triangle on the right hand side.

Peter

Pierre
09-02-16, 12:16
No, it's not Mod privileges, I could see who has read a thread for a long time.

Can you see a black bar that says "Members who have read this thread: 66" if so then click on the triangle on the right hand side.

Peter

Where is this black bar?

Macaronytony
09-02-16, 12:19
No black for me either...

Sent from my Galaxy 6

Buckeye
09-02-16, 12:36
The black bar is below. As your post count increases so do your privilidges I am sure being able to see it is linked to the privileges as I could see them long before I was a Mod.

Peter

Pierre
09-02-16, 14:38
The black bar is below. As your post count increases so do your privilidges I am sure being able to see it is linked to the privileges as I could see them long before I was a Mod.

Peter

Gosh when does one join the club?:praying:

Buckeye
09-02-16, 15:04
Gosh when does one join the club?:praying:

You are already in the club, but with only 161 posts you are very much a junior club member with regards to privileges. You have already achieved the Red Top Turner with your post count and as you post more you will be rewarded with various privileges like more space for PMs etc when each privilege/level happens I haven't a clue.

To keep this thread on Topic we had a flurry of 4 votes yesterday so lets hope we get some more today, the last day of voting before the results of the Segmented Pen Competition.

Peter

Macaronytony
09-02-16, 15:46
Hi Peter, why aren't members informed by email when we have a competition and when we need to vote? Life gets in the way of visiting the forum sometimes and we can miss things.

Sent from my Galaxy 6

Dalboy
09-02-16, 15:57
You are already in the club, but with only 161 posts you are very much a junior club member with regards to privileges. You have already achieved the Red Top Turner with your post count and as you post more you will be rewarded with various privileges like more space for PMs etc when each privilege/level happens I haven't a clue.

To keep this thread on Topic we had a flurry of 4 votes yesterday so lets hope we get some more today, the last day of voting before the results of the Segmented Pen Competition.

Peter

Sorry Peter but even I have not got that black bar. The only ones I have are Tags and Posting Permissions

Grump
09-02-16, 16:02
Nor have I but I did have at one time, bloody annoying it was.
I don't care who see's what init?

Buckeye
09-02-16, 16:04
Hi Peter, why aren't members informed by email when we have a competition and when we need to vote? Life gets in the way of visiting the forum sometimes and we can miss things.

Sent from my Galaxy 6

Good question and I wouldn't mind if I got a reminder to vote for example, but some people don't get their emails as it goes to spam.

Would you like daily emails from me when the next competition is on just to remind you to get on with your submission:funny: There are some who would complain about getting reminders even if they were once a month. It does sound a good idea to me though.

Peter

Buckeye
09-02-16, 16:08
Sorry Peter but even I have not got that black bar. The only ones I have are Tags and Posting Permissions

It's so strange, because I have been able to see that for ages, at least a year, so I know it has nothing to do with Mod Privileges.

Peter

PhillH
09-02-16, 16:15
Nope can't see it either, tried in IE11, Chrome and Firefox, but no joy in any. Just in case it was a browser glitch.

Buckeye
09-02-16, 16:27
It really is baffling, I can see 67 names now, so we have picked up another reader.

I have just had a look at the UserCP, but can't see anything in there that seemed relevant. Maybe it's only Mac users:ciggrin:

Peter

woodhacker
09-02-16, 16:35
Nope I have Mac and don't see it . Got the black bar but just tells what I can do. Not that it matters any.

Penpal
09-02-16, 21:36
Looked at my black bar and lo and behold there was included in the statement You warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar,sexually oriented............... why then would I respect the laughter posts that I try to avoid most are described this way showing no respect IMHO.

Peter.

Buckeye
09-02-16, 22:05
Last few hours for people to vote if you haven't already.

Peter

Dalboy
09-02-16, 22:42
Voted ages ago after the hiccup with the voting system.

Good luck to all that entered and well done Peter for all the work you have put in:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Buckeye
09-02-16, 22:48
I think the vote may have ended, I can't see the voting box.

Yesterday there was only 1 vote difference between 1st. and 2nd. I wonder if that has changed today.

Peter

Lons
09-02-16, 22:54
Can't wait to see which entry won.

The fun part has been trying to guess who made what, not easy :thinks:

Buckeye
09-02-16, 23:13
Can't wait to see which entry won.

The fun part has been trying to guess who made what, not easy :thinks:

I think there is only one I would venture a confident guess at, possibly two, but I know who made what so it's always easier in hindsight.

We should run a book on guesses as to who made what:praying:

Peter

Buckeye
09-02-16, 23:27
I have just been passed the results of the January Segmented Pen Competition 2016, but I am wondering whether to leave it until tomorrow so that you all have a fitful night's sleep wondering if you voted for the winner or not:thinks:

Peter

Lons
09-02-16, 23:29
I have just been passed the results of the January Segmented Pen Competition 2016, but I am wondering whether to leave it until tomorrow so that you all have a fitful night's sleep wondering if you voted for the winner or not:thinks:

Peter

What I think of that is unprintable :funny:

Buckeye
09-02-16, 23:43
Only teasing:funny:

Peter