• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

What would you use this for?

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
For some reason I decided to buy this last weekend from a boot sale..:rolling:

Not sure what I will use it for yet! What would you do with it?:whistling:

May be a stupid but but sure it will be useful for something, just couldn't let it go.

Only paid £5 for it...... Great deal if I can find a food up use for it..

Be kind to me as I have difficulty in being let down.. :face:

Bugger, can't upload my picture.... :nonono::devil:

Jim

Grand Master
I don't know if we tried this the last time but lets give it a go ... :thinks:

When replying to a thread look at the bottom right where it says "Go Advanced" (Picture below) ...

Untitled1.jpg

Click on this, on the editor you will see an attachment icon, (Picture Below) click on this ... a box will pop up, now click on browse and locate the picture on your PC ..click on your picture, once your link is in the box, click on the second "Upload" link at the right hand side ... That should place the image in the post ...

Untitled.jpg

HTH ... :pray:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
2 bearings, a shaft, a pulley & a flat plat, I could utilize it for a few things but a disc sanding would be most useful for a turner, that is if it all runs "true"

I do like those old grease pots on the bearings, I've a couple on an old Wadkin, they look lovely polished up :eeeeek:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Mount it on a frame or benchtop and build a treadle movement below, multi use, slow sanding, grinding, honing, polishing, Buffing, Bowl turning anything that requires a slower touch rather tan full pelt spinning.
Attach a bloody great fan at end an alternator the other and pretend your being green and powering your workshop from it.
The weird beards will give you a government grant for innovation and permission to house 30 illegal immigrants.

Woodski

Apprentice Member
Bet the silver pulley on the end says 'PICADOR' on it. :bwink:

I'd benchmount it and rout out a recess for the pulley and belt to sit in and pass through. Then sling the motor under the bench.

Have fun

Adam

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Attach a bloody great fan at end an alternator the other and pretend your being green and powering your workshop from it.
The weird beards will give you a government grant for innovation and permission to house 30 illegal immigrants.

I could always count on a different solution from you Brian.. I don't suppose anyone has applied to the government for such a grant have they?:winking:

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
Mount it on a frame or benchtop and build a treadle movement below, multi use, slow sanding, grinding, honing, polishing, Buffing, Bowl turning anything that requires a slower touch rather tan full pelt spinning.

I could always count on a different solution from you Brian.. I don't suppose anyone has applied to the government for such a grant have they?:winking:

There is an over abundance of illegal immigrants here you can have for free.:bwink:

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
There is an over abundance of illegal immigrants here you can have for free.:bwink:

No we are allright we have a also have a lot

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF1652.JPG
    DSCF1652.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF1654.JPG
    DSCF1654.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 0

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
That simple face plate sure roused a freak set of observations however a simple clean, check, when purchased would have answered itself. When I buy simple mandrels I roll them on a flat surface sitting your object on a narrow surface one twist by hand on the pulley will reveal if it is concentric and a rule on the face of the plate if its flat. Navel gazing and crystal ball diagnosis from 12 thousand plus miles a waste of time. I mike all new important drills at the place of purchase bag them mark their true size and then buy a little under then over mark the baggie it works for me.

In my workshop I have three objects like yours if you choose to make a sanding disk on the flat surface measure the pulley run at 1/2 synchronous speed safer and more efficient than full speed. It is easy to design a back cover for the disk and a means to capture dust, go to the nearest sale place of such things and draw a pattern for your self.

Lastly and above all enjoy the process a half to 3/4 hp motor will drive it with ease. I will look for a pic of my object driven off the main shaft of an old Woodfast lathe that I regard highly for sanding as well.

Kind regards Peter.:thinks:

Attachments

• Test Photos with Digital Camera 040-001.jpg
    Test Photos with Digital Camera 040-001.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 30

silver

General dogsbody
Executive Member
First Name
Eamonn.
Thanks your ideas.

However I have been offered £50 for it today so its looking like I'm going to bag the profit..:tongue:

I was all up for making the sander as well. :sob:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Thats a bloody good turn around mate well done do a few more like that and you could buy a brand new sander :thumbs::thumbs:

trapper

Registered
what about a duplicator drill the plate or slot it to convert it to a faceplate belt drive the pulley from your headstock pulley work out some sort of stylus set up now you can duplicate items for the exact match

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Silver, I had made one of these from a 1 inch thick plate of Aluminium C/W a right angle plate etc with motor gave it to a long term mate who built a complete Fair Organ from scratch with pipes and percussion. From your discussion seems like folks out your way must live on streets paved with gold your 50 quid equates to 100 plus our dollars. I have three others the largest 18 inches across the steel dead accurate plate must be sitting on a kings ransom. So many times in an effort to assist members to make and do I will come back to one liners until I find out if they are fair dinkum in utilising or go back to watching programs like Antiques Road Show and enjoy myself.

Maybe the forum annomnity is such we hardly know many names few real locations so its difficult for me to follow conversations or appreciate distance, climates, real interests etc. Have fun on the forum I will maybe look for the humerous withdrawing from the deep thinking and writing, sharing.

Kind regards all. Peter.:thinks:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).