PDA

View Full Version : Possible Children's Pen Turning Competition

Buckeye
05-02-16, 22:53
We have been thinking about a competition for young members of your families, thanks also to Bammer aka Brad who also suggested it and made several suggestions. If you have any young children who you think would like to enter a pen turning competition under your supervision then please let us know here what ages they are so we can see how many at what age. It would probably make sense to hold it in the school summer holidays so can you also say when the 6 week break is in your area.

There would be certain things that you as the supervising adult will be able to do instead of the child, such as using the bandsaw, squaring the ends of the blanks and assembling the pen also using CA. If you can think of any other dangerous parts that a child should not be doing them please mention them here. You as the supervising adult will take full responsibility and we can't accept any liability whatsoever for any accidents, incidents or tears. If you don't think you can safely supervise the child, please don't do it.

Peter

Lons
05-02-16, 23:00
I'm up for it Peter, I'm only 10 btw:whistling:

Buckeye
05-02-16, 23:02
I am 15, but that is kilos overweight.

Peter

brody2123
05-02-16, 23:14
I'm up for it Peter, I'm only 10 btw:whistling:

I have a mental age of 10. Does that count?:funny:

brody2123
05-02-16, 23:16
This sounds like a good idea Peter. Will run it past my boys tomorrow The big un said he wanted to make something this weekend:thumbs:

Dalboy
05-02-16, 23:29
I have to play like a 2 1/2 year old three times a week does that count me in. He knows what most of the tools are used for

Jim
05-02-16, 23:30
Would be good to see Peter .. The next generation of pen turners .. :winking:

Lons
05-02-16, 23:31
My granddaughter is 3 this month and can just about bang in a nail. I'm sure she could come up with a fancy segmented slimline :thinks::winking:

GeordieB
05-02-16, 23:40
I dont have any kids are cats aloud ??

Grump
05-02-16, 23:49
My children are all in there 40's can the enter?

Buckeye
05-02-16, 23:56
It could be that instead of a pen they could turn a wand that might appeal to them more than a pen.

http://www.penturners.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4642&p=64767#post64767
http://www.penturners.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4662&p=65078#post65078

Peter

Phil Dart
06-02-16, 00:10
If you can think of any other dangerous parts that a child should not be doing them please mention them here.
Peter
Speak unless spoken to? :devil:

Buckeye
06-02-16, 00:14
Speak unless spoken to? :devil:

When I tell my Granddaughter that when I was a kid we were always told that children should be seen and not heard whenever we went to visit anyone, she thinks I am joking or that I am quoting from Monty Python.

Peter

Woody
06-02-16, 00:29
Well I have two who will be up for it what a bloody good idea

Buckeye
06-02-16, 00:36
Well I have two who will be up for it what a bloody good idea

What are their ages Woody, and when are their school holidays, I know it differs around the country.

Peter

Penpal
06-02-16, 03:30
No possibility of children in my home but its a great idea Peter.

bassethound
06-02-16, 07:53
Well I have often been told to bloody grow up! but I have no one to supervise me so I'm out :rolling:

Bammer
06-02-16, 07:59
Excellent idea :winking:

Perhaps some sort of age category, a 15 year old will probably have a better handle than a 9 year old .... That way Grumps kids could have their very own category :funny::funny:

Woody
06-02-16, 09:17
What are their ages Woody, and when are their school holidays, I know it differs around the country.

Peter

they are 11 and 7 there holidays wont matter as they are only round the corner and they visit quit often and always come down my workshop with me all my grandkids have been on the lathe the youngest was 3 when she made her first pen

Buckeye
06-02-16, 10:56
Excellent idea :winking:

Perhaps some sort of age category, a 15 year old will probably have a better handle than a 9 year old .... That way Grumps kids could have their very own category :funny::funny:

Yes, that's why we want ages, so we can see if there is enough to split by ages, as you haven't said how old your child is we will have to give him/her a handicap although remembering how many segmented blanks you blew up maybe he/she already has one:whistling:

they are 11 and 7 there holidays wont matter as they are only round the corner and they visit quit often and always come down my workshop with me all my grandkids have been on the lathe the youngest was 3 when she made her first pen

That's really good to see kids able to do something like that, okay that sounds like we have 3 so far, so come on people I know we have had pictures on here showing pens that your kids have made, we need more to get this going.

Peter

Vic Perrin
06-02-16, 11:07
Great Idea Peter. My Grandaughter will be up for it. She is 12 and her Main holiday is all of July and August

:thumbs:

Buckeye
06-02-16, 11:13
Great news Vic:thumbs:

Peter

bellringer
06-02-16, 12:03
I am 19 dose this countB-)

wm460
06-02-16, 12:35
Bugger summer holidays just finished, kids went back to school last week.:devil:

Bammer
06-02-16, 13:20
[QUOTE=Buckeye;231161]Yes, that's why we want ages, so we can see if there is enough to split by ages, as you haven't said how old your child is we will have to give him/her a handicap although remembering how many segmented blanks you blew up maybe he/she already has one:whistling:

you soooooooooooooooo funny :funny::funny:

He's 15 .............. doubt I could get his older sisters anywhere near my shed

Buckeye
06-02-16, 13:45
[QUOTE=Buckeye;231161]Yes, that's why we want ages, so we can see if there is enough to split by ages, as you haven't said how old your child is we will have to give him/her a handicap although remembering how many segmented blanks you blew up maybe he/she already has one:whistling:

you soooooooooooooooo funny :funny::funny:

He's 15 .............. doubt I could get his older sisters anywhere near my shed

You know I'm only joking:kiss:

Peter

Buckeye
19-02-16, 20:33
Okay here is a bump for the thread, Brody did you run it past your boys and Jim don't you have grandchildren or are you too young?

There must be others who have young children in the family, so come on rope the younguns in.

Peter

chas_41_uk
19-02-16, 21:22
Sounds like a great idea Peter. But none of products of my loins will be entering. The eldest is 25 and the youngest is 18.
And the eldest grandchild is only 2 1/2 :rolling:
But it will be good to get kids involved for those who have family members in the right age range :thumbs:

Penpal
19-02-16, 21:26
My eldest turns 60 on the first also a leap year missed that by two hours she has a degree in fine arts so no trouble.

Peter.

Buckeye
19-02-16, 21:31
Sounds like a great idea Peter. But none of products of my loins will be entering. The eldest is 25 and the youngest is 18.
And the eldest grandchild is only 2 1/2 :rolling:
But it will be good to get kids involved for those who have family members in the right age range :thumbs:

Right, Chas, we will put her name down for summer 2018 :thumbs:

Peter

brody2123
20-02-16, 08:19
Okay here is a bump for the thread, Brody did you run it past your boys and Jim don't you have grandchildren or are you too young?

There must be others who have young children in the family, so come on rope the younguns in.

Peter

Yes Peter, my pair are up for it:thumbs:

Buckeye
20-02-16, 10:10
Yes Peter, my pair are up for it:thumbs:

That's great, what ages are they? That's 6 we have got now, if we can get Jim's involved we will have one for each day of the week.

Peter

brody2123
20-02-16, 17:04
That's great, what ages are they? That's 6 we have got now, if we can get Jim's involved we will have one for each day of the week.

Peter

They're 9 and 5 Peter.

Penpal
21-02-16, 02:01
This competition is one I look forward to.

Peter.

wm460
21-02-16, 03:42
The way the wife has been whining like a kid can she join in.:whistling::whistling:

Gizmo3k
22-02-16, 16:24
I can see if my two are interested - by summer, they will be 6 and 4. Need to get my wife's permission too though!

Buckeye
22-02-16, 17:34
I can see if my two are interested - by summer, they will be 6 and 4. Need to get my wife's permission too though!

That will be great if they are allowed, don't forget you are allowed to do all the dangerous stuff like bandsaw work. Maybe start prepping them to show them how to hold tools etc if you haven't already. Great news, let us know what your wife says.

As well as pens/pencils there could be wands, yoyos, spinning tops and one of my favourites, cup and ball or anything else that seems interesting . I don't think we should be too strict on subject as it is better the child makes something they are interested in rather than not join in.

Peter

Lons
22-02-16, 17:34
Need to get my wife's permission too though!

Your wife is too old to enter Alan,:nonono: unless you're a cradle snatcher.:ciggrin:

AllenN
22-02-16, 20:27
I have a 7 year old adoptive grandson. I am sure he will give it a go come summer, so long as his mum doesn't object.

Buckeye
22-02-16, 21:34
I have a 7 year old adoptive grandson. I am sure he will give it a go come summer, so long as his mum doesn't object.

That's brilliant Allen, sweet talk his mum and get him to think about what he would like to turn:thumbs:

Peter

Buckeye
23-02-16, 17:56
Sorry, but I had to withdraw these two.

Peter