• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Brass tube abrading

Scots Bill

Registered
First Name
Bill
hi folks,
don't know if this wee idea is new to you, or indeed any good, but Nige's question about pencil sharpeners reminded me of something I came up with to roughen the brass tubes. Having quite a lot to do I put a medium grit carborundum burr in a Dremel type tool and holding the brass tube at one end at a time I run the slowly revolving stone against the tube starting about halfway, well a bit nearer my fingers in fact, by using a fairly rapid action, exactly like sharpening a pencil and turning the tube between my fingers, the tube is very efficiently roughened. It works (perhaps you all do that, or better!)

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I use a nail punch most fit do over half one way then reverse I know some do and some dont but I never loost a blank through unglued separation.

Peter.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Never bother I cant see the point but when ever a tube has come lose it has always broken away from the wood not the tube and its a job to clean the tube after

Phil Dart

Executive Member
First Name
Phil
I've tried all sorts of methods over the years. When you're just starting out on the pen turning journey, all the advice is to abrade the tubes to give better adhesion. My methods altered over time in order to find a time efficient way of doing it, and now I have THE ultimate solution, which I adopted several years ago, which is this. I don't bother. I can categorically say it makes not the slightest bit of difference. Having said that, I don't use CA, which I suppose might make a difference, given that CA was never designed to glue metals and therefore might need all the help it can get.:whistling:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I use ca, Gorilla glue, Cascamite, pva or any other that comes to hand, I don't abrade tubes and they don't come adrift.
What's the bloody hurry anyway?
I can think of better things to do when I am on my last breath init?

Scots Bill

Registered
First Name
Bill
Hi Brian, so it matters not what we use, and how on earth did you know I was on my last breath, do you know my doctor, or my wife? had to get up at 4am this morning do to lack of breath, nebuliser helped a bit, glass engraving and sanding wood do not help at all!

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).