• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Propelling pencil kit

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
As mentioned in my burr pen thread below is a photo of a propelling pencil kit & I was wondering if anyone had experience of making one up like this.

Where the nib screws onto the insert the brass tube narrows down but is hardly any smaller than the top of the nib, which has me a little puzzled, also I presume I need to step drill the blank?

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
Something doesn't look right there Doug. Both tubes should be standard 7mm ones. I have made a few but rarely as the mechanism fails very easily. Have you no instructions?

keith

Jim

Grand Master
I would bet that this was one of Craft Supplies kits, they made their own kits and a few needed stepped drills for the tubes ... :bwink:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
That is the old kit I might have destructions somewhere, Will try to look em out.
Buggered if I can remember though I think they were 8mm at the thickest part.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Thanks for the replies.

I don't have any instructions though I do have about 20 complete kits, I imagine they were from Craft Supplies as most of the gear in the box appears to have come from there.

Having given it a bit more thought I can`t see a problem fitting the tubes, though how I would fit them on the lathe is a puzzler as they wont fit on my mandrill.

That is the old kit I might have destructions somewhere, Will try to look em out.
Buggered if I can remember though I think they were 8mm at the thickest part.

I'm guessing they are quite old, I've had them a while & the old boy who gave them me hadn't turned for quite a while before that, if you did find any instructions I'd appreciate seeing them.

Finally googling IAP bought up :-

Institution of Analysts and Programmers
International Association of Prosecutors
International Academy of Pathology
:nooidea: :idontknow: :goesred:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Craft supplies did do a pen with 3 different sized drills for one barrel in fact i still have one made up they had to be turned between centers with a dead center in the head stock

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
Thanks for the replies.

I don't have any instructions though I do have about 20 complete kits, I imagine they were from Craft Supplies as most of the gear in the box appears to have come from there.

Having given it a bit more thought I can`t see a problem fitting the tubes, though how I would fit them on the lathe is a puzzler as they wont fit on my mandrill.

I'm guessing they are quite old, I've had them a while & the old boy who gave them me hadn't turned for quite a while before that, if you did find any instructions I'd appreciate seeing them.

Finally googling IAP bought up :-

Institution of Analysts and Programmers
International Association of Prosecutors
International Academy of Pathology
:nooidea: :idontknow: :goesred:

:bwink: Try this link Doug.

IAP Home

L200arg

Graduate Member
I bought a few craft supplies pen kits from turners retreat when they bought them out. They did come with instructions but they were pretty crap,but you could try turners retreat to see if they are selling the same kit with instructions.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I'll have a look in shed tomorrow and see if I have them in there.
I did find this while searching through my confuser and it is still live and relevant, might be useful to some of you.
INSTRUCTION LIBRARY

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Sorry mate I cannot find the destructions for that pencil, I was sure I had them somewhere but been through all my paperwork to no avail.
Tidy drawers now and found a lot of other stuff plus threw a lot out so thanks for that.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).