• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Brown Mallee Dish.

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi Folks,
Did your lover say the earth moved for her when you got your leg over yesterday? Well don't get too big-headed, 'cos it may have been me! Seismologists also reported earth tremors in Kent, and this, too, may have been me. Why? Well, after mounting this piece of Mallee on the machine and switching it on, the bloody lathe began leaping around the workshop as if competing in the Olympics! This continued whichever way I mounted it and at whatever speed. I thought I was a bronco-buster in a rodeo! The vibes being given off gave rise to the rumours of earth movements in the area. Anyway, I eventually managed to get the dish into a nearly-round shape, and then hollowed out the inside. Not much of a shine as it was very dodgy applying polish - those jagged edges are bloody lethal! I may spray a polyurethane finish on it later. I'm really pleased at the beauty in this wood, which is not apparent in its un-turned state. In fact I'd imagine you Aussie guys would do a rapid retreat to the bank if you saw this coming towards you in the creek, right?
Anyway, the dimensions were 14" x 8" x 3", and finished up with the dish being 8.5" across.
Regards, Bob.Brown Mallee Burr - bark..JPGBrown Mallee Burr - grain..JPGBrown Mallee Burr bottom 2..JPGBrown Mallee Burr bottom1..JPGBrown Mallee Burr Dish..JPG

MikeD

Registered
That is a very nice bowl. The seismic shock didn't quite make it to the North West :sob:
I read somewhere of an American turner sitting astride his lathe so he could continue turning without having to chase his lathe around his workshop :whistling:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Well done me ol mate looks the dogs dangles I do like mallee got to get some more sold all mine LOL

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
Wow that's lovely.... ..how do you know where to start on a piece like that.:nooidea:

Ed

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
You Start with the bit closest to your knuckles :funny::funny::funny: ok I will shut the door on the way out

Jim

Grand Master
Turned out very nice Bob, the grain in that bowl is superb .... :thumbs:

Can't help thinking how many pens that bit of wood could have yielded ...

... Yup, I'm a one-trick pony!

It never crossed my mind how many pens could have been made from this stock at all .... :whistling:

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Thanks again, chaps!

Hey, Jimjam, I already thought of the pen blank potential but went with the dish as I've never had a large piece of burr to play about with. It is thanks to Woody that I had this piece (and another, similar, piece) as he gave them to me after his illness, when it looked as if he was going to have to pack up woodworking.

Regards, Bob.

Last edited:

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
o yes i have just had a look at it i am trying to work out how to cut it i might post some pic tomorrow

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi, bellringer,
Hope you've got better wood than I got when ordering (sight unseen) some red mallee from a supplier. It was dull red but with very little grain or burr. Pretty much like a faded mahogany, which made drab-looking pens. This will teach me!

Hey, Phil,
By then I was wearing my third one, LOL!!!

Bob.

Last edited:

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
i bought the burr in person from john davis wood turning and i have slightly polished one face it looking good going to post pics

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Dont know what all the fuss is its only a bit of wood just a different shape to what some are used to :funny::funny::funny:

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Jeez, Woody, you can be a nasty piece 'o work on the quiet. Do yourself a favour - don't open any parcels coming from me, right? You old git! LOL!

Bob.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).