• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Axminster bushes

Maurice

Does anyone know if the bushes supplied by Axminster are particular to their own mandrels?
12 months ago I bought a set of Sierra bushes from them but they didn’t fit onto my mandrel. (I cannot remember the make), and It was too much trouble to take them back so I left them in the draw. Recently I bought an Evolution mandrel from Turners Retreat and I tried these bushes but again they did not fit onto that mandrel either.
I have been considering buying some Executive kits from them but I will need the bushes and I don’t want to make the same mistake again.

Happy turning.

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
I have 3 mandrels all of varying thickness 2 of which are from the same supplier. I don't think these are precision made. I was thinking of buying lengths of tool steel and making my own to see if they are any more accurate. I guess the same can be said for the bushes in which case I will put them in the lathe and run a drill through them!!!

Jim

Grand Master
I have had Sierra bushings from TR not fit on my mandrel in the past, i used sand paper rolled up and a small round file to get them to fit ... :whistling:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I use an Axminster mandrel with no problems T/B all his bushings fit , T/R sierra bushingsl fit but I haven't used axminster bushings for years except for there filigree pen which fitted perfectly but I have heard of others that have had the same problem as you

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Use the bushes between centres, Problem solved unless they don't fit the tubes, in which case bin em.

naxie

Registered
Hi Maurice, I posted a thread some time ago about a batch of Axminster bushings not fitting their own mandrel and guess what, they were sierra as well!

To give them credit though, they were excellent in replacing them. As far a I remember somebody else posted a similar experience as well. I did measure them at the time and it was amazing how far out they actually were. Might be worth seeing if I can find the thread.

Maurice

Thanks for the replies. You would think that in the 21st century suppliers could guarantee that their products were made to a set size, but I suppose that's like expecting sunshine in summertime.

Happy turning

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).