• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Red Mallee Burr

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
Right as i said early i have a red mallee burr that i would like to cut bit not sure how so any advice on how to cut this on a bandsaw would be good
photo+2.JPG

photo+3+%25281%2529.JPG

photo+4.JPG

Jim

Grand Master
It is a nice block of timber Alex .. Me personally would take a few cuts from all angles ... :bwink:

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
But would that be the most productive way of cutting it the person i got it off said cut it along the black line that is nearest the edge

Jim

Grand Master
But it doesn't stop you cutting across the top Alex ... :ciggrin:

photo 3 (1).JPG

Terry

Chairman Plonker
Executive Member
An exile Geordie living in Kingston upon Hull
First Name
Terry
Get a faceplate on the large flat side and then fetch your tailstock up in support. Turning at slow revs use your largest bowl gouge and take light cuts until you get it in balance and at the same time gradually increase the speed!!!!

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
I am sure you want to throw the responsibility on to us but the dismal fact is there are lots of losses cutting burl for blanks. The key solution is to establish a flat to work from. I would be bold enough to say I would cut across that line at right angles having the brass clearance measurement to go by with that awkward piece starting from length enough cut then the best way you see for the most blaks beware and cut generously better to have fewer you beaut blanks than lots of skinny poor ones. Forgive me for I have erred thinking again is it for a bowl or turning blank if so a smallish face plate scr where it will be hollowed or perhaps the other way around to go in from the flat face with a bowl saver. The moment of truth comes when you see the grain if or not.

Have fun.

Kind regards Peter. Not all that glitters is gold in burl.:rolling:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Personally I would cut along the black line with the burr laying on the flat then continue to cut slices the sizes you want along the same axis but allow a bit extra on each cut to allow for blade wander you will need a very good sharp blade to cope with Mallee and cut slowly don't rush it good luck Alex

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
ok i am going to try and cut it with the help of my dad and put a new 1/2 inch blade on so the should work

Woody

Registered
First Name
no

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
i am going to use my 3 skip 5/8 blade as i have not got any 1/2 inch left but i will look at the bi metal blades

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).