• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Applying friction polish

yorkshireman

Wood Rat
Executive Member
First Name
Keith
When I'm putting any friction polish or wax on my blanks I use blue paper towel that comes in a huge roll mainly because I get it from the stores at work so its free. The only problem is if you're not careful it breaks up and I end up scraping bits of blue towel off the blanks with my thumbnail. Anyway on friday I was at the dentists being butchered and paying for the privilege when she wrapped summat round my neck to stop any mess. In between the twinges I was looking at this thinking - that looks handy. Its paper impregnated with some form of plastic to make it more durable. Consequently after a bit of pleading I walked out with half a box of it to try. If its any good the wife is having her checkup in a fortnight so I'll get her to scrounge some more.

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
So there you have it, folks. Put yourself through excruciating pain and bloodshed and you can get a few pieces of paper for free! LOL! Nice one, Yorky!
Bob.

sbwertz

First Name
Sharon
Be careful. If the bibs have plastic, they may melt. For friction polish to work, you have to get it hot (through friction) and melt the finish into the wood. If the bib has plastic, it may make an awful mess.

Sharon

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
My dentist still has sawdust on the floor to soak up the blood I doubt he has heard of this wondrous material called plastic (or paper).
I am sure he is a union man too his philosophy is one out all out.
Hence old Sweeny has no patients, I drove past on Friday there was an ambulance outside.
I shudder at the thought of him.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Impregnated with plastic would surely cause even more problems with the heat of polishing it may melt thats why we cant use nylon personally and I'm not saying anyone else should but I use cloth held loosely and pointing in the direction of travel I cant see as there is any danger if it catches (huh on smooth wood dont make me laugh) it will just fly out of your hand l there I said it now for the reaction tallyho :face::face:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Bill's not here dad unless under an assumed name, and you have termed it correctly saying what you use and not recommending that others do the same.
I too use cloth and also say the only time it will snag is if it don't smooth enuff but that don't make it right, does that cover too?

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).