• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Chrome and trivalent chrome Sierras ex Timberbits...

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi Guys,
Please excuse the poor scans (Brian's gonna do his nut!)
Just finished these Sierras - one in acrylic, the other in speckled grey corian. I like the Sierras - and so do the women at craft fairs, particularly acrylics in the wilder colours! I also like turning corian - it's a pity someone doesn't develop it and make more striking-looking blanks.
Regards,
Bob.Two Sierras in acrylic..jpg

edlea

Lobbygobbler
Registered
First Name
Ed
They look good ...I have just used up an order of acrylics from T/B on a load of marmite kits just to get rid of the kits ...I think the few blanks left over can go on Sierras after looking at yours Bob !:thumbs:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Awful pictures Bob but I am glad you enjoyed making the pens that's what the hobby is all about.
May you continue to have fun for long to come.

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Thanks, Ed.
My experience with Sierras is that women like them if they come in acrylic. Despite what I said above it's not necessarily the wilder blanks that they buy - very often it is the softer, more subtle patterns that sell, particularly to the older women. And, believe it or not, some of them try to accessorize the pen with the clothes/handbags, etc, they own - despite the fact that the pen will be out of sight for most of the time! Still, you mustn't mention logic to the ladies, right?
Bob.

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Both very nice though the acrylic edges it for me in the favourite stakes :thumbs:

You can get some quite lively Corian colours, I turned some pens from off cuts for a corian fabricator a few years back for him to give away to clients, I just found the finished pen was a little on the heavy side.

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Thanks for your comments, Terry!

And for yours, Doug!
And you're spot on with the weight factor of Corian- this material in definitely heavy than acrylic and wood. I'll keep a wider eye open for the brighter ones you mention.

Bob.

Jim

Grand Master
Pity about the picture Bob, it doesn't do these pens justice, i don't mind any material on a pen, the Corian ones i make sell quite well and quickly ... :thumbs:

Did you glue the Corian together for this pen Bob, or is it from a larger cut?? :thinks:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Using Corian the all time favourite for women I have found is white ladies waist design. Try this as an experiment make one and without a word invite some of these delightful people to use your pen give you some info other than their age and phone number in response then to a question for them. I feel like a voyuer when I observe their reactions slowly holding ,running their fingers around and along the pens quite sensuous IMHO now as an ex Wedding Photographer those same ladies go dreamy eyed and quite carried away with white wedding dresses as well must make them feel quite virginal or something.

Yes there are infinite colours in Corian, my SWMBO agrees with the statement they are quite heavy, especially in the winter quite cold, neat trick hold them in a warm hand in the winter before you show the Corian Pen.

In this Country Corian main dealers are notorious for refusing to sell their product to us for pens one such mongrel said he visits continually the factories in the USA this years ago and all Corian Pens split so I made forty different ones Corian supplied by a subdealer using sink cut outs etc turned up to the main dealer plonked my finished pens on the counter the guys wife his business partner fell in live with them wanted to buy them, I declined saying your husband has told me all Corian pens split and it can not be used for pens.

The sub dealer I made a pen for him and his wife and he would fill the boot of my car with beaut offcut and up to large pieces he used to throw them to the dump. If ever you do put a lot in your boot beware it is really heavy. These days I confess I have not finished exploring beaut timber.

Bob I like your pens and agree with others they will find good and acceptable homes and future sales.

Kind regards Peter.:thumbs:

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Thanks again for your comments, folks. Much appreciated!

Hi, Jim. No, these were 1" square, kindly given to me when Woody was having a clearout. I do have some 12.5mm ones - these are dodgy to drill through but when successful are OK on Slimlines, etc.

Bob.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I thought Id seen that somewhere it was a worktop that was removed from a laboratory I had a 6ft x 2ft x 1" lump of it

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).