• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

How to stabilise an ash burr

mattkemp

First Name
matt
Hi

I have an ash burr I have recently cut fresh from an ash tree the tree was healthy and removed for reason being to close proximity to a powerline. But does stabilising a burr just mean drying it out or is there any special processes required? Any help would be gratefully received

Thanks

Matt

Jim

Grand Master
There is more to stabilising wood than drying it out Matt .. To stabilise wood it first has to be dry, then the process is to place it in a vacuum chamber .. Rather than me going on, here is a link that will have all the answers you will need .. :thumbs:

Pierre

Graduate Member
First Name
Pierre
I'm not so sure that you are talking about stabilising. If the burl/burr is dry and falling apart then yes you would be. However, if you are talking about a green burr/burl then first of all you will need to let it dry, the rule of thumb is 1" or 2.5cms thickness per year in plank form, full logs over 30 cms have a different time for the centre . So you will need to allow the piece to dry in a controlled manner such that you avoid splitting etc.

You can either rough turn it and dry it slowly Ie in a bag with its own shavings or you can wax the end grain and dry it slowly.... In a burr/burl find the end grain!! If you can get some paraffin wax then smother it and stick in your shed for a couple of years or so. Personally I would recommend the latter, but I am sure that you will now get 50 variations on a theme. :winking:

PG

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Drying the burl first wins hands down. If you have definite plans for it rough cutting oversize may hasten the process.

Peter.

mattkemp

First Name
matt
Thanks I am going to order some paraffin wax and do it that way and put it in the back of the shed and forget about it for a while and see how I get on. If any body wants any wood specific species grown in uk and are local/willing to meet up to pick up I am willing try and help people as I am a tree surgeon so may be able to get hold of some timber. Hope it helps people out on here :thumbs:

Matt

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
Thanks I am going to order some paraffin wax and do it that way and put it in the back of the shed and forget about it for a while and see how I get on. If any body wants any wood specific species grown in uk and are local/willing to meet up to pick up I am willing try and help people as I am a tree surgeon so may be able to get hold of some timber. Hope it helps people out on here :thumbs:

Matt

If you wax the burrs and set them aside I will take you out for lunch when I come to pick them up:thumbs:

Peter

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).