• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Robinia burr‏ what is it worth

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
i have been offered this burr and want to know what it is worth
SDC10620.jpg

SDC10624+%25281%2529.jpg

SDC10625.jpg

it has some saw-en wood on one face and it is 15x15x3

any ideas

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Alex aka Black locust it is a really hard wood and I would say quite rare to find a burr like that I think and I'm no expert ,but I would say no change out of 40 quid but they can go through the roof on price If you calculate how many pen blanks you could get out of it at £3 quid a blank that gives you something to think about hopefully someone like Woody might be able to give you a better idea. Frankie.

Jim

Grand Master
I don't know the value, but i wouldn't mind looking in the middle of that burr ... :ciggrin:

Neil

Fellow
First Name
Neil
Alex,

Robinia burrs very easily in the UK. It is native to the South East of North America where it grows straighter and yields planks. It was planted extensively by the Victorians in their desire to create Ornamental gardens. The wood will shift little when you cut it but the flame and burrs will contract and move significantly. I'm afraid I don't concur with Frankie on the value, its certainly not worth £3 a blank to a purchaser, more like 50-75p and if thats the cost, to be honest its not worth acquiring if you reckon you are going to cut it and sell it on.

It difficult to price because nobody to my knowledge stocks robinia burrs, s its worth what you can do with it. £10 tops?

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Normally when a burl is cut from the tree unless the tree has been felled the character of the burl is revealed otherwise the getter, buyer, user are like you in confusion Black Locust Burls can be quite large. Myself I would err on the side of cheaper until provan if you can buy them cut and dried fiery colour and grain unless a sense of greed pops into the equation just how many pens would you like to make in Black Locust anyway.? The bark is quite thick can you water blast this off yourself, I know equivocation reigns.

Trust it works out fine for you but then I sense another question from you throwing that back in the ring which way would we cut it is it dry just scratching the surface of the dominating thoughts each and every piece of timber poses which in the long run become experience gained from commitment and personal finances and courage, may the force be with you.

Kind regards Peter.:rolling:

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
well i have only paid a £10 for it so it must be a good investment so we will see

turnaround360

Caracktycus Pots
Fellow
First Name
Frank
Well Done Alex as I said I am no expert and the cost I gave was just my thoughts but I'm glad you got some real feedback well worth a tenner Frankie.

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
yep i got the contact detail from a small bit in the front of the wood turning magazine :banana:

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
A very good tenner's-worth there, matey! Methinks it would make a glorious bowl - with the chance of some pen blanks off of the waste (?)
Bob.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Here is what a robinia burr looks like it is like rays not like we are used to seeing in a burr you can see the burr on the right hand side as for its worth I haven't a clue because as Neil said it isn't a commercial wood I got all mine for free after a friend cut one down and it had loads of burrs on it which is quite common but because of its rarely commercially you may be on a winner myself I would turn it whole but thats me happy turning
4b.JPG

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Jeez, Woody, that's a lovely piece of workmanship! It looks beautiful! Still, I think you've got the ability and skills to turn even a piece of plywood into a work of art!
I bet bellringer is having second thoughts about turning his chunk into pen blanks rather than using as it is, LOL!
Bob.

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
Here is what a robinia burr looks like it is like rays not like we are used to seeing in a burr you can see the burr on the right hand side as for its worth I haven't a clue because as Neil said it isn't a commercial wood I got all mine for free after a friend cut one down and it had loads of burrs on it which is quite common but because of its rarely commercially you may be on a winner myself I would turn it whole but thats me happy turning
View attachment 1685

Very interesting looking bowl Woody, it sure don't look like it was a burr.

Jimjam66

Chief Battonager
Registered
View attachment 1685

Two thoughts crossed my mind: 1. If you could get those rays running in the right direction on a pen mmm- mmm- mmmm! And 2. Cheeez Woody, you make some awesome stuff! :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).