• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Buffalo horn on a sierra

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I found this remnant of horn from before I sold up it had fallen down the back of my shelf unit Id forgotten how it can stink a small workshop out like burning hair but hey ho I'm having fun with my new lease of life

Attachments

• DSCF1481 (2).JPG
    DSCF1481 (2).JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 38

Gav

Registered
First Name
Gavin
I stank out my garage a couple of weeks ago, but such a lovely material to turn!

Lovely pen, what finish did you go with? I just wet sanded to 2500 grit and then polished.

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I stank out my garage a couple of weeks ago, but such a lovely material to turn!

Lovely pen, what finish did you go with? I just wet sanded to 2500 grit and then polished.

I just sanded to 600 grit then buffed with brown soap on a hard mop and that cleaned it up perfectly

PhillH

Little Grandad
Registered
First Name
Phill
Woody, I'll have a chat with you about that on Saturday.

I've got lumps of buffalo that I was gonna do stick heads with and never got round to doing.

If that's what they come out like I might have a bash.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Nice one Woody, i like the smell of burning hair reminds me of when I had long hair and smoked.
I would often get a quick singe from the zippo.
I use beeswax on mine, any polish will bring it up nice if it's smooth enough init?

Jim

Grand Master
That is a nice piece of horn Woody, i have had some of this and it was all one colour without the streak you have. I also find that people are amazed when you tell them what the pen is made from ... :wink:

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
Nice one Woody, i like the smell of burning hair reminds me of when I had long hair and smoked.
I would often get a quick singe from the zippo.
I use beeswax on mine, any polish will bring it up nice if it's smooth enough init?
It reminds me of when I was a teddy boy and we used to singe our quiv in the days when we all had wavy hair but now the tide has gone out get it waves tide oh well Byyy

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).