• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Especially for Bobby Bluntchisel.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
I feel a bit responsible for him having the name, it goes back a long way init?
Anyow some looney posted a flick about sharpening carbide bits on the lathe with a jig and I took the ump about how dangerous his practice is.
So bad i don't gonna link to it, only a total doombrain would screw a carbide tip into a chunk o wood and start spinning it with his fingers so close to the thin bit.

I realise that there are some people who can't resist making jigs and actually need them otherwise they can't function, simples init?
I also understand that some people just can't hold a piece of metal against a stone without waving all over the shop.
This one is for you Bob, as I know you are gonna replicate what you saw on here init? This is my safer version of it.

Everyone has at least one of these or can hammer one from an old Jacobs chuck.

P1100271.jpg

Drill a hole at the end and tap it, add a flexible (fibre / rubber washer or other flexible material) to take the deviation if any and screw your blade to it, I used a 4.2 drill bit and a M5 tap for this one.
Bung it in the tailstock.

In the spiny bit goes your collet chuck with a stone / diamond disc or other media to sharpen the blade.
I used a dremmel type grindstone only for the sake of the pics, you use what you need to do the job.

P1100272.jpg

Start the spinner and offer the quilll to the grinding media, the blade stays still and the rotating action of the spiny bit does the rest for you init?
Safer prettier and more reliable than the method previously shown init?

P1100274.jpg

Scots Bill

Registered
First Name
Bill
Very clever Brian, I had some of those carbide bits, or cutters. I would bolt one on the end of a long bolt and offer the angle of the cutter to a green grit grindstone, twirling the bolt did sharpen the cutters, after a fashion. I never got them keen enough to cut wood very well. your method, grinding on the face looks better and more accurate by far. Good job!

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi, Brian,

LOL! Thanks for taking the time to make this, and for doing the tutorial, matey. Must say it's a safer system than what was shown on that YouTube video. We learn something everyday!

Bob.

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Hi, Guys,

Blimey, it's cold enough in the workshop to freeze the tits off my olive (that's blue tits off my olive tree, you perverts!!!) and I've just cut eight acrylic blanks for four Omegas. I used a re-sharpened circular carbide bit. No mishaps, but I was surprised at how aggressive I had to get with the chisel. Is this normal?

Bob.

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
Great tip Brian :thumbs:

Not had much experience with carbide bits, I only have one (a Woody made tool). But I'd have thought you wouldn't need to be aggressive with a freshly sharpened tool

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).