• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Steradent tubes

Scots Bill

Registered
First Name
Bill
hi people,
I recently mentioned a vase I turned out of spalted beech. Thought it might be of interest that the insert I put in the turning that would hold water was in fact a tube that had held Steradent denture cleaning tablets. Works very well. Can be cut to the length required.
Another thought, would those tubes work for casting resin blanks? They are about the right size I would think. One inch by seven. I understand folk use water piping.:thinks:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
hi people,
I recently mentioned a vase I turned out of spalted beech. Thought it might be of interest that the insert I put in the turning that would hold water was in fact a tube that had held Steradent denture cleaning tablets. Works very well. Can be cut to the length required.
Another thought, would those tubes work for casting resin blanks? They are about the right size I would think. One inch by seven. I understand folk use water piping.:thinks:

Good idea for the insert. I don't know how well it would do for casting as I think the resin would stick to the aluminium, you could use a release or turn the aluminium off I suppose.

Peter

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
I use these tubes to house my letter openers when I sell them at craft fairs - much better than the customer stuffing them into pockets or bags!

Bob.

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Does that mean I've now got to have all my teeth out to get these things :sob:
Actually there is one in the cupboard somewhere as we occasionally used the tablets to clean my work thermos flask, dunno where the flask is either now I'm retired. :thinks:

Scots Bill

Registered
First Name
Bill
No, no Bob,
do it my way, keep your teeth, get your wife to get hers taken out! Anyway, there must be people who would keep them for you, no, not the teeth, the tubes. Damn good idea about the flask cleaning, perhaps wine decanters also?

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
No, no Bob,
do it my way, keep your teeth, get your wife to get hers taken out! Anyway, there must be people who would keep them for you, no, not the teeth, the tubes. Damn good idea about the flask cleaning, perhaps wine decanters also?

Yep it's good for cleaning wine stains.
Decanters? You must live in a very posh area Bill, doesn't even make it as far as the glass in these parts. :ciggrin:

As far as false teeth are concerned, even my MIL has her own teeth and she's 89 :funny:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
No Peter the Steradent tubes are now a white plastic, fairly strong?

Then it may work well, if the recycle number is 1, 2 or 5 then it will work very well.

Peter

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
Good idea Bill and I am at the age where I use these and the surface area of false teeth has gone up over recent years. You have given me an other brilliant money making idea leave the teeth at home buy a banjo and a pair of old hobnail boots and go busking by playing a bit of bluegrass in town.

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
The tablets are great for getting tea stains out of cups as well. I have been saving the plastic tubes for my next casting, also I have found that the individual cups that you get with trifle in work with polyester resin and make great mixing containers as they are clear so you can see if the resin is mixed right to the sides and bottom.

Scots Bill

Registered
First Name
Bill
hi Derek, Aldi's sell fruit jellies that come in strong wee cups as well, I hate throwing anything out, seeking a use for everything. I caps off my asthma inhalers have different coloured caps, green, blue, and purple. Wonder if they would melt like milk bottle tops?

Scots Bill

Registered
First Name
Bill
Hi Big Bob frae Inverness, think they used to hammer a hobnail into the bottom of spinning tops, or peeries as they called them around Glasgow, they kept them spinning for ages with a whip on a stick, you might remember them. I also used to hammer one into the bottom of walking sticks I made to protect the bottom ferule. When I was in the army at first we had leather soled boots with hobnails. If we saw a comrade in trouble we were told to sharpen our seventeen studs (per foot) and go and give the bad guys a mouth full of dandruff!

Scots Bill

Registered
First Name
Bill
Oh Bob, I have done my share of slugging out of bottles. Decanters, well I was in the catering trade as a chef and I know they are a swine to clean. I have used a bit of brass chain to swirl around inside them. Old lady has her own choppers at that age, good for her, feed her more sweets! Thought I was doing quite well with quite a few of mine aged seventy seven. Mind some of the scrapes I have been in when younger it is a wonder.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Been using them for years, a wipe of meths takes all the print off leaving a plain white tube.
They are Polypropylene recyclable number 5 and measure approx 180mm X 25mm.
My Drain saves hers for me I have regiments of the bloody things.

Jim

Grand Master
I like the idea Bill, i also like what you say regarding trying the tubes for casting .. I need to ask my toothless friends if they could save me a few of them to try them out .. :winking:

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
hi Derek, Aldi's sell fruit jellies that come in strong wee cups as well, I hate throwing anything out, seeking a use for everything. I caps off my asthma inhalers have different coloured caps, green, blue, and purple. Wonder if they would melt like milk bottle tops?

Bill you sound like me! "hate throwing anything out" I think everything like that will melt ok if you can just find the right temperature without it burning! will let you know when I try an inhaler melt :rolling:

wm460

Grand Master
Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.
First Name
Mark
Then it may work well, if the recycle number is 1, 2 or 5 then it will work very well.

Peter
I didn't know that 1 and 2 were any good for casting.
and the pen is mightier than the sword, so some protection is advisable, at least a helmet, powered or not Peter.

Oh Bob, I have done my share of slugging out of bottles. Decanters, well I was in the catering trade as a chef and I know they are a swine to clean. I have used a bit of brass chain to swirl around inside them. Old lady has her own choppers at that age, good for her, feed her more sweets! Thought I was doing quite well with quite a few of mine aged seventy seven. Mind some of the scrapes I have been in when younger it is a wonder.

Sent from my D6683 using Tapatalk

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).