• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Bottle caps

Sawes

Registered
First Name
Scott
Seem quite a few bottle caps placed on tube and cast in clear resin. Mainly USA and when mentioned this subject on Facebook people just wanted to sell me some.
I am struggling to understand a few things.
Firstly exactly what are the bottle caps? The hard metal discs from top of pop off bottles like coke etc?
If so how do they then end up being able to be used on a pen tube?
I have seen Jack Daniels and many other designs that I was not aware came in such bottles.
I am just trying to get in to resin casting and this would be of great interest.
I have had some moulds shipped from ptownsubbies and now looking at ideas.

Sorry if this subject already on here I did search but found nothing.

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I have tried it and I find the most difficult part is to cut out the centre of the cap, it helps if the cap is aluminium, but not many are.

Peter

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I have tried tin snip cut to cuts the edge off the bottle caps then bends them around a rod the same size as the brass tube, not real successful .

They need to be punched out to look good.

Peter

flexi

Executive Member
First Name
mark
I have a supplier of said blanks at a good price....i could not cast any where close to what he achieves and am happy to pay for that service...a bit like selling my pens....any way i have just ordered more Jack Danials, Southern Comfort and a few specials:whistling:
Good luck if you try casting your own

Jim

Grand Master
Personally i would be looking for a large bag of any old caps on Ebay etc, then would practice with these trying to find a solution before doing any casting .. :winking:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).