• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Pagoda box

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
This is my first attempt at making a pagoda box, I saw Jason Breach turn one a few months ago which inspired me to give it a go, quite a nice challenge, he certainly made it look easier than it was. :thinks:

The box is made from some very rippled Ash (wish I had some more) finished with carnauba wax it stands 2" high & is 2 3/4" wide.

& the lid fits nice & snug :funny:

Doug

Loquacious
Executive Member
First Name
Take a guess
Thanks for the comments, much appreciated. :up:

Jason Breach is well worth seeing, I hope you enjoy the demo John.
It was Jason who offered up the tip of sharpening you gouge prior to taking a final cut, which when cutting the very thin wings on a box like this is a useful thing to do as sanding such small items is a bugger, or it is for me anyway.
Getting the lid to the shape & thickness I wanted it to be was definitely the most challenging part of the box.

I have been asked to make another one of these boxes so will take some photos as & when I get round to turning it Steven.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
sharpening you gouge prior to taking a final cut
I couldn't possibly imaginine doing that, it seems to prdicable to me firstly I never know when my final cut is going to be until I have made it.
To sharpen at that point would be a cut too far, How can one say this is going to be my final cut i might want another after that then have to sharpen again.
Sorry it does not compute.
Secondly I wouldn't work without sharp tools so why resharpen something that is already sharp

Jim

Grand Master
For such a small piece it says a lot ... Excellent bit of turning Doug, with a great finish as usual .. :bwink:

Jim

Grand Master
I couldn't possibly imaginine doing that, it seems to prdicable to me firstly I never know when my final cut is going to be until I have made it.
To sharpen at that point would be a cut too far, How can one say this is going to be my final cut i might want another after that then have to sharpen again.
Sorry it does not compute.
Secondly I wouldn't work without sharp tools so why resharpen something that is already sharp

Brian, look at it in a different way ...
sharpening you gouge prior to taking your final cuts
:bwink:

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Brian, look at it in a different way ... :bwink:
My point exactly a regularly sharpened tool wood never get dull and when is the final cut?
A mate of mine recently admitted to being addicted to brake fluid. When I quizzed him on it he reckoned he could stop any time....

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).