• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

painters tape ?

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
Hi All,
Can anyone explain what painters tape is ? I have seen a few videos (mostly american) and they cover the surface with tape before pasting on the design. The tape is supposed to lubricate the blade and make it easier to cut. Can anyone help me ?:thinks:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
The only new tape for me is green easily removed after a while it is a bonus where the normal goes hard and difficult to remove.

Peter.

Terry Q

Fellow
First Name
Terry
Painters tape is used to mask off areas you don't want to paint. Different coloured tape provide different levels of tack. It wont leave a stick residue when removed. I use blue quite a lot in the work shop.

loftyhermes

First Name
Steve
The Americans use painters tape to cover the wood because it's low tack, ie comes off easily and doesn't leave any residue behind, they then glue the pattern to that. I always use repositionable spray glue and don't have any problems getting the pattern off. The clear packing tape is applied because it acts as a lubricant for the blade and stops it leaving burn marks, don't ask why it works I only know it does.
happy scrolling
Steve

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
Thanks for all the replies chaps :thumbs:
I reckon I need a low adhesive masking tape.
@bassethound I have some of that stuff left from Xmas. I think it was 5 rolls @Poundland.

bassethound

Executive Member
First Name
Ted
Thanks for all the replies chaps :thumbs:
I reckon I need a low adhesive masking tape.
@bassethound I have some of that stuff left from Xmas. I think it was 5 rolls @Poundland.

Am I losing the plot more than I usually do? I thought the query was about tape lubricating the blades, what's the masking tape for?:thinks: I always use a cheap prit stick glue for sticking pattern on and don't have any problems ! :nooidea:

Last edited:

loftyhermes

First Name
Steve
Yes any clear packing tape will do, I cover my patterns after drilling all the holes the pop the holes with a bradawl, I found out that drilling after putting on the tape it lifted and all the swarf collected under the tape.
happy scrolling
Steve

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
Am I losing the plot more than I usually do? I thought the query was about tape lubricating the blades, what's the masking tape for?:thinks: I always use a cheap prit stick glue for sticking pattern on and don't have any problems ! :nooidea:

Ted,
I was happy with the replies by #6 :nooidea: I have no problems with sticking patterns on either :nooidea:

bigbob

Graduate Member
First Name
Bob
Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).