• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Spalted beech life bowl

Woody

Registered
First Name
no
I made this life bowl after I took Violet down the pub for dinner and a few no Id better not say your not supposed to drink and operate machines this was a rat of a bit of wood it took up a whole bottle of super glue to stabilize the soft bits and fill in a split even then some other soft bits dip in a bit now after sanding or was it what I shouldn't have done before operating a machine :banana::banana:

This is a piece of a plank that was given me as an extra on a wood order it is 7" x 2 1/2" finished with 2 coats of sanding sealer and paste wax

Attachments

• DSCF1496 (3).JPG
    DSCF1496 (3).JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCF1497 (2).JPG
    DSCF1497 (2).JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 42

Jim

Grand Master
Very nice bowl Woody, super finish on it also, a great piece of turning ... :bwink:

rowdyyates115

It's Showtime.....
Registered
Absolutely Beautiful Woody......:claps::claps::claps:

Haven't tried turning anything spalted yet, sounds like fun - need to get on Flea-Bay..

Last edited:

bellringer

The Young one
Registered
First Name
Alex
i have a pieces of splated beech that i have started making a bowl from and it driving me up the wall but nice bowl

bluntchisel

Registered
First Name
Bob
Last year I bought some spalted beech pen blanks from a guy on ebay. They were soft through and through, just like balsa wood! I contacted the guy and he was good enough to replace them with other woods. The original spalts have been in my workshop ever since. I've tried everything to harden then (C/A, etc.) but nothing works - they just blow up on the lathe.
You guys probably know this - ALWAYS use a dustmask when turning/sanding wood with spalt in it - that stuff is a fungi and you do NOT want this in your lungs!
Regards to all.
Bob.

Grump

Grand Master
First Name
Brian
Its in my van now going home to my Drain init?

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).