• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

My Scrolling journey

Toonie

Apprentice Member
First Name
Keith
My Scrolling journey..............So far

I first saw a scroll saw being used in Jan 2016 & never having seen or even heard of one before, did a bit of research & purchased a Record 16 inch from Yandles & after a bit of practice decided to make a Wolfs Head clock that I posted on the forum, The whole thing took about 6 hrs from start to finish with the Record saw performing well after a lot of modifications that included removing all the side panels so that I would be able to change the pinless blades without re-training as a circus contortionist , also sanding the rough finished table to 600 grit as it was originally finished to about 20 grit which made it vey difficult to make a smooth cut.

Then after watching a you tube video showing a guy assembling a large & very beautiful wall mounted clock he had made & decided that I wanted to make something less elaborate but equally rewarding so designed a wall mounted clock of my own but when I did a rough check & counted over 500 internal cuts which would mean De-tensioning, Removing the blade, Finding the 2mm Alan key that gets lost without fail on the messy workbench, Removing the top clamp, Fitting the blade through the next hole, Re-fitting the clamp, Re-fitting blade to saw & finally Re-tensioning blade before the next cut would make me loose the will to live.

For most normal people the Record saw would be a good purchase & this is not meant to be a criticism of it at all.

So....Axminster's Ten Turner's Turning day saw me having a long conversation with the nice chap doing the scroll saw demo using the revamped Excalibur machine with the quick change blade system, Fantastic piece of kit that I purchased with the stand.
I have today finished the 3 main front sections, each made using 4 strips of 6mm Sapele glued together to get the width needed

If anyone can be bothered to read all of my drivel right to the end I will be updating this thread with pictures as and when I progress further down the road to insanity..:thinks:

Regards Toonie
Top.jpgMiddle.jpgBottom.jpg

chas_41_uk

Registered
First Name
Chas
Nice scroll sawing Keith, looking forward to seeing the finished clock :thumbs:

I will be updating this thread with pictures as and when I progress further down the road to insanity

I think you will find that your being on this forum proves your insanity level is already at "untreatable" :wink:

Toonie

Apprentice Member
First Name
Keith
Nice scroll sawing Keith, looking forward to seeing the finished clock :thumbs:

I think you will find that your being on this forum proves your insanity level is already at "untreatable" :wink:

Is that because I spend too much time in my shed Chas ? :thumbs:

donwatson

Fellow
First Name
Donald
An excellent start Keith :thumbs: I look forward to your updates on this piece.
I'm with Chas here, you are past treating, it's all downhill from here.:winking:

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Scrolling has a strong hold in my Wood Guild the leading scroller using antofret techniques and metal etc has won thousands of dollars with his perfection. I admire your patience also together with the way you have approached the use of saws etc in such a short time. Having bought various saws for my dearly beloved including the most expensive on the market at the time I listened without understanding when she always used the cheapest Dremel saws she had pinned blades and all. Reason all you had to do was squeeze to remove and replace the blade. The Hegner later came out with a quick release mod she still did not like that.

Keep it going mate it looks great so far.

Peter.

Toonie

Apprentice Member
First Name
Keith
Hi all,
Well I finally got around to photographing the wall clock that i started (& finished) months ago :thumbs:Wall-Clock.jpg
I have been busy making other stuff so will upload images as & when i get the chance :thumbs:

Toonie

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Love the clock Keith you may have to change colours in hands if you want to read the time in other lighting. You are a natural.

Peter.

Terry Q

Fellow
First Name
Terry
Having a quality machine makes scrolling so much more enjoyable. Been doing it for over 30 years. There are 2 drawbacks to scrolling. It's very habit forming and scroll work is bloody impossible to dust.

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
The leading winner in our Wood Guild has been overall Champion of Show he uses metals whatever always using anto fret.

Peter.

Jim

Grand Master
Sure was worth waiting for Keith, you done an amazing job with this my friend .. :thumbs:

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).