PDA

View Full Version : March 2016 Competition Entries

Buckeye
01-04-16, 10:41
These are the entries for the March 2016 Competition A Pen/Pencil for Arthritis Users.

Please don't comment on individual entries and do not click the Like or Thank You buttons for any of the entries.

At the moment there is no VOTE BOX as that has to be set up by Jim and when he is home from work I am sure he will sort it.

I have put them up just so you can have a preview of the wonderful shapes that have been entered in this competition. I think you will agree we have some brilliant entries showing great imagination. Thank you to everyone who entered we have surpassed all previous numbers for a competition with a record 16 entries, lets keep doing that with each competition:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Here is a link to How to Vote or Nominate the pen you would like to win. (http://www.penturners.co.uk/showthread.php?t=538&p=4274#post4274)

Remember you have only 1 vote so don't click the box until you are certain it is the right box.

If you use Tapatalk can you please let us know if you are able to Vote/Nominate or not. If you can't you may have to use a computer to make your Vote/Nomination until Jim says otherwise.

There will be 6 days to Vote/Nominate including today so it will end Wednesday 6th. April 2016

Peter

Buckeye
01-04-16, 10:45
No.1

Yew, with rubber o-rings at various places to assist with grip. It has a African Blackwood centre band and End Cap. No clip.

Buckeye
01-04-16, 10:47
No.2

Slim line twist English oak burr and Bubinga CB and cabochon finished with friction polish.

Buckeye
01-04-16, 10:49
No.3

Based on a slimline kit the body is aluminium and the grooves are filled with J B Weld filler Black but it ended up Grey when dried.

Buckeye
01-04-16, 10:51
No.4

It is a kitless rollerball, made from acrylic and ebonite, using a rollerball refill and spring. The grip is wrapped in a soft rubber, to allow the user to have something soft to grip- this was a suggested requirement online. It is also quite chunky, so that it can be gripped with restricted hand movement. Rather than a difficult thread on the cap, it is a push fit with an o-ring keeping it in place and airtight. It is designed to be lightweight, so is only a little longer than the refill itself.

Buckeye
01-04-16, 10:53
No.5

I've always tried to make my pens pleasing on the eye & comfortable to hold. Arthritis sufferers who use my pens say they are comfortable. This pen is made from cross cut oak.

Buckeye
01-04-16, 10:54
No.6

I've combined a long wood and a euro kit to make it more comfortable to use and easier to propel the ink. The blank is homemade out of cast crushed stone in the colours of arthritis research.

Buckeye
01-04-16, 10:59
No.7

Threaded Slimline Kit. The blank is from Exotic Blanks and called Prismatic Spring.
Designed with a little extra bulbous section to help prevent the hand slipping down to the nib.

Buckeye
01-04-16, 11:01
No.8

Gunmetal slimline made up with mottled beech, with a custom purplehart centre ring. This is thicker than the average slimline to allow for a better grip, but retains the ease of advancing the point found in the slimline design. Finished with finishing oil, then buffed.

Buckeye
01-04-16, 11:02
No.9

Details:

nib end segmented ash / mahogany. - clip end ash / blackwood. - parts from threaded slimline kit. - finish, sealed and waxed.

Buckeye
01-04-16, 11:04
No.10

Dual Twist Simplicity kit gun metal, Holm Oak and Cherry, imitation Ivory centre band. Main feature is the tri-lobe grip.

Buckeye
01-04-16, 11:06
No.11

Marvin the Martian rocket pen.

Ebonised Beech with gilt waxed centre band. Plastic thumb wheel, rubber ring, and comfort grip from junk that was kicking around.

Buckeye
01-04-16, 11:08
No.12

It is a tri pen, red/blue ink and a pencil. I had to dismantle original pen, turn it down on lathe and then turn wood to suit. The wood is Muhuhu.

Buckeye
01-04-16, 11:11
No.13

Brazilian Mahogany.

Buckeye
01-04-16, 11:13
No.14

A Twist Action Slimline in Yew.

Buckeye
01-04-16, 11:15
No.15

Slimline nib, mini refill and plywood.

Buckeye
01-04-16, 11:18
No.16

I have taken into account a few considerations with the design of this pen, one the weight, so I have used a streamline kit, also the strength of the client which a lot of sufferers don't have much of. I have created two proud points one to prevent the pen sliding out of their hand the other to stop the pen sliding up in their hand as they write. The Wood is African Blackwood.

Buckeye
01-04-16, 12:31
I have managed to narrow it it down to 4, but seeing as I have never yet picked the winner, I don't hold much hope of me doing it this time either, even if I could vote:thinks:

Peter

Phil Dart
01-04-16, 16:33
Hmmm. as a voter and not an entrant, I think this is the most difficult competition yet, to to make up my mind about. As I see it, not only do we need to make a judgement regarding the makers' skill at executing the manufacture, we also have to modify that with our opinion of the pens' fitness for purpose. You've set a tricky one here Peter, both for the entrants and for us mere mortals who will be voting. :thinks:

This is just an idea, which is probably no good - I wonder if, after the result of the vote is known, you might consider a poll of some device where we can separate those two elements - a) best made pen, and b) pen most suited to purpose. I guess you'd need the permission of all the entrants to do that, or maybe just discussion will sort it out - but I find the ideas on show here all fascinating, and it's an important area of design that maybe deserves a bit of exploration after the event.

As I say, just an idea - I'll fetch my coat.

daveygee
01-04-16, 16:37
I think it is a great big massive well done to all entrants.....:bravo::bravo::bravo:

Buckeye
01-04-16, 17:06
Hmmm. as a voter and not an entrant, I think this is the most difficult competition yet, to to make up my mind about. As I see it, not only do we need to make a judgement regarding the makers' skill at executing the manufacture, we also have to modify that with our opinion of the pens' fitness for purpose. You've set a tricky one here Peter, both for the entrants and for us mere mortals who will be voting. :thinks:

This is just an idea, which is probably no good - I wonder if, after the result of the vote is known, you might consider a poll of some device where we can separate those two elements - a) best made pen, and b) pen most suited to purpose. I guess you'd need the permission of all the entrants to do that, or maybe just discussion will sort it out - but I find the ideas on show here all fascinating, and it's an important area of design that maybe deserves a bit of exploration after the event.

As I say, just an idea - I'll fetch my coat.

When I made mine, I asked my MIL for rough dimensions and made it so that her hand couldn't slip down. It looked crazy to me, but I have to say it was comfortable to write with and if you couldn't grip very well it was still manoeuvrable. It turns out that my MIL needs one that is much larger than the one I made and yet that was gigantic as far as I was concerned. I think it depends on the severity of Arthritis on the best size and shape, my MIL can't hold a pen that is under a couple of inches diameter comfortably, she needs something like this http://www.maddak.com/the-arthwriter-hand-aid-p-27899.html

I think all we can do is to research as much as possible and if we know anyone with arthritis to get their input. I like the idea of a discussion, a poll is only possible with a maximum of 8 items, I think.

Peter

Lons
01-04-16, 18:20
Definitely some weird and wonderful entries among those - love it. :thumbs: Well done all those who entered.

We had some friends round last weekend who bought a couple of pens for presents. When they saw mine it was instantly grabbed by one of them who's an orthopaedic nurse and she wanted to buy it for her mother. I refused 'cos I think it's horrible. :funny:

Buckeye
01-04-16, 19:15
Definitely some weird and wonderful entries among those - love it. :thumbs: Well done all those who entered.

We had some friends round last weekend who bought a couple of pens for presents. When they saw mine it was instantly grabbed by one of them who's an orthopaedic nurse and she wanted to buy it for her mother. I refused 'cos I think it's horrible. :funny:

You might think it's 'orrible, but it really isn't and not only should you sell it, you should be taking orders from her.

Peter

Lons
01-04-16, 19:27
You might think it's 'orrible, but it really isn't and not only should you sell it, you should be taking orders from her.

Peter

Nope! Appreciate the comments but...

It goes in the box with the other experimentals. I might dismantle one day and bring them back to life in other forms - the Frankenstine of penmakers. :funny:

One of the best bits of the comps is trying to guess who made what and seeing how accurate you are at the end. :thinks:

Buckeye
01-04-16, 19:47
Nope! Appreciate the comments but...

It goes in the box with the other experimentals. I might dismantle one day and bring them back to life in other forms - the Frankenstine of penmakers. :funny:

One of the best bits of the comps is trying to guess who made what and seeing how accurate you are at the end. :thinks:

You shouldn't dismantle that pen, it would be a travesty let someone enjoy it.

We should have a contest to see who gets the most right, 10p a guess, money back if you are right and all other proceeds go to charity. I think anyone would be lucky to get two right.

Peter

Jim maybe working overtime so please be patient and enjoy the extra time you have to look at the entries.

Jim
01-04-16, 20:59
Amazed at these pens, at the moment i have some difficulty in selecting my choice .. A big well done to all, and another fantastic job done by Peter .. :thumbs:

Buckeye
02-04-16, 11:36
Has anyone had any issues with the nominate box? One member told me that nothing happened when he tried to nominate a pen? I am checking it out with Jim to see if the vote registered.

Peter

penfold1
02-04-16, 15:47
Mine seemed to go in ok? didn't register on the first try though.

Dalboy
02-04-16, 16:05
Just got back from the Woodturning club where we watched Andy Coates, a very good demo. Have now voted

Neil Lawton
02-04-16, 16:30
I still can't decide, I'm in a quandary over aesthetics versus comfort / usability.:thinks:

Lons
02-04-16, 17:20
I still can't decide, I'm in a quandary over aesthetics versus comfort / usability.:thinks:

I'm in exactly the same mind Neil.
Might just vote for my own and end up with a minus 3 count. :funny:

donwatson
03-04-16, 09:38
I can't narrow it down to less than 5 pens. I don't know about the practicalities of using one so I will use an Arthritis site to see what they say.:thinks:

wm460
03-04-16, 09:47
Have another look after I have an old man camp its been a long day.

woodhacker
03-04-16, 13:17
Looks like I've missed all the fun. Nominating a winner from that lot was awful hard, so many brilliant pens. Every one a winner, well done everybody. :banana::banana::banana:

Buckeye
03-04-16, 13:21
After you have voted have a look at http://www.penturners.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15788&p=236387#post236387 for forthcoming competitions. Get your younger family members ready to turn and have a think about your future entries which can be completed beforehand, when you have time, as long as you don't show them to anyone else or put them online before the relevant competition ends. Also remember where you put them unless you photograph them when they are finished.

Peter

billyb_imp
05-04-16, 19:37
Some wonderful looking creations here & they all look as one way or the other they could work for the intended user / purpose :thumbs::thumbs:

wm460
06-04-16, 10:23
If you use Tapatalk can you please let us know if you are able to Vote/Nominate or not. If you can't you may have to use a computer to make your Vote/Nomination until Jim says otherwise.

Peter

Peter,
I am using Tapatalk but can't vote from my phone.
Just thought I would let you know.

Sent from my D6683 using Tapatalk

Buckeye
06-04-16, 11:15
Peter,
I am using Tapatalk but can't vote from my phone.
Just thought I would let you know.

Sent from my D6683 using Tapatalk

Yes, it looks like tapatalk users will have to use a computer to be able to vote in future competitions.

The vote has now finished and when Jim gets in he will let me know the results.

Peter

Lons
06-04-16, 21:37
Some cracking winners and now they're announced I'll start off by saying my attempt was...... No 9

Buckeye
06-04-16, 21:52
Some cracking winners and now they're announced I'll start off by saying my attempt was...... No 9

We have

1 Bammer
5 Bill Mooney
9 Lons
10 Macaronitony

Peter

Neil Lawton
06-04-16, 22:32

No idea what number mine was, but it was the Marvin the Martian rocket pen.
I brought it in and Ali said "Where's the KABOOM? There should have been an Earth shattering Kaboom!"
Doubt many will get that reference, already too old, or young at the time? :funny:

Lons
06-04-16, 22:38
I brought it in and Ali said "Where's the KABOOM? There should have been an Earth shattering Kaboom!"
Doubt many will get that reference, already too old, or young at the time? :funny:

:funny: I loved that one Neil but just shows how cr*p I am at guessing 'cos I put it down to Brody :goesred:

Buckeye
06-04-16, 22:46

We have

1 Bammer
5 Bill Mooney
9 Lons
10 Macaronitony
11 Neil Lawton
14 Vic Perrin

Peter

Phil Dart
07-04-16, 06:44

Actually Neil, without the benefit of a panel of arthritis sufferers to try them all out, your pen seems to me to be the one best suited to purpose. I think the fat rubbery and plasticy bits, particularly at the transmission, are probably just the thing for an arthritic hand. Walt would have loved it too.

Vic Perrin
07-04-16, 07:31
Mine was No 14. I based mine on what we used to do for my Sister when she was alive. She suffered from Chronic Rhuematoid Arthritis and couldn't hold a pen at all. I used to drill a table tennis ball and glue a biro into it and she managed quite good with it.

Some great pens and congratulations to the winners

:thumbs:

Buckeye
07-04-16, 08:28
Mine was No 14. I based mine on what we used to do for my Sister when she was alive. She suffered from Chronic Rhuematoid Arthritis and couldn't hold a pen at all. I used to drill a table tennis ball and glue a biro into it and she managed quite good with it.

Some great pens and congratulations to the winners

:thumbs:

It's a great pen Vic. It was my clear favourite by far and not just because you gifted it to my MIL, which is still winging it's way to her or is sat in the customs while they figure out what it is for:funny:

Peter

Gizmo3k
07-04-16, 10:43
Mine was Number 8. I wasn't too happy with it to be honest, and after speaking to an arthritis sufferer on Tuesday night, it is still too small to help much.

Still, if something like this gets run again I will have a better idea!

Alan

Buckeye
07-04-16, 10:48
We have

1 Bammer
3 Bassethound
5 Bill Mooney
7 Dalboy
8 Gizmo3k
9 Lons
10 Macaronitony
11 Neil Lawton
14 Vic Perrin
16 Woody

Peter

Dalboy
07-04-16, 15:18
Mine was number 7. I don't normally do fat slim lines. This has been a difficult one to judge trying to pick one that is well turned a blank to match as well as something that would suit some one with problems holding a thin pen which was the hardest as different people have problems of dissimilar degrees of hand use when holding a pen

Woody
07-04-16, 15:38
Mine was number 15 I have made several of this type for people with arthritis and MS

bassethound
07-04-16, 15:52
Mine was no 3, you prob guessed that as I'm the bloody idiot that plays with melting metal bits for fun lmao! don't know much about Arthritis, but I do know a lot about just dropping things through being bloody clumsy :ciggrin: age thing you know!

Buckeye
07-04-16, 16:10
Mine was number 15 I have made several of this type for people with arthritis and MS

It was actually No.16 :thumbs:

We have

1 Bammer
3 Bassethound
5 Bill Mooney
7 Dalboy
8 Gizmo3k
9 Lons
10 Macaronitony
11 Neil Lawton
14 Vic Perrin
16 Woody

Peter

Macaronytony
07-04-16, 16:46
Think Woody said 15 Peter? :rolling:

Buckeye
07-04-16, 16:58
Think Woody said 15 Peter? :rolling:

He did, but it was 16:thumbs:

Peter

Macaronytony
07-04-16, 17:11
Me bad, should have know you had it right... :goesred:

Buckeye
07-04-16, 21:13
Okay we have some gaps in the names I am sure Brodie will say which is his pen, lets see who can guess right before Brodie logs on.

Peter

wm460
08-04-16, 07:34
Mine is No 15, It must be good if Woody tried to claim it.:devil::devil:

Buckeye
08-04-16, 08:05
We have

1 Bammer
3 Bassethound
5 Bill Mooney
7 Dalboy
8 Gizmo3k