• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

Pressure Pot

Lincsturner

Apprentice Member
First Name
David
Hi all apologies if this has been covered but couldn't find reference in the search. Does anyone know of a UK supplier for a pressure pot that doesn't need a mortgage to go with it. Just contacted Axminster who are now charging £113.50 for the 10l pot and 12 week wait for it.

Thanks in advance

Lons

Fellow
First Name
Bob
Walter made one and I'm sure posted on here after doing an article for Woodturning mag. not too long ago.

Shaver

First Name
Tam
Walter made one and I'm sure posted on here after doing an article for Woodturning mag. not too long ago.
Not 100% sure, but was that not a vacuum pot Walter made up using a pressure cooker pot?

As I found, you just have to keep an eye on ebay, and these other sites. Second hand pots do come up occasionally. I got mine on ebay, but it needed a lot of fettling to get it usable, and I'm still in the market for a new lid seal. It works though, cost me £20 plus bits and time.

Lincsturner

Apprentice Member
First Name
David
Not 100% sure, but was that not a vacuum pot Walter made up using a pressure cooker pot?

As I found, you just have to keep an eye on ebay, and these other sites. Second hand pots do come up occasionally. I got mine on ebay, but it needed a lot of fettling to get it usable, and I'm still in the market for a new lid seal. It works though, cost me £20 plus bits and time.

HI yeah that was a vacuum pot got that in the works already :)

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
If you want to do lots of blanks under pressure or larger sticks I have a larger pressure pot Beddows pot (I think) and a Binks top, I can't remember if it is 5 gallons or more, it's big, but it is probably too far from you.

Peter

GSteer

Registered
First Name
Greg
I had to do an image search to get some context on what size a 5 gallon pot is, looks like quote a beast. I'm interested in the pressure pot options too, like the idea of making my own blanks from scratch.

Jim

Grand Master
As Tam, mentions, keep a look out on ebay as a good second hand one comes up every now and then .. For less tan £200 you can get a 10ltr one from Here .. :thumbs:

Buckeye

ペンメーカー
Executive Member
First Name
Peter
I had to do an image search to get some context on what size a 5 gallon pot is, looks like quote a beast. I'm interested in the pressure pot options too, like the idea of making my own blanks from scratch.

You don't need to use pressure if you are using polyester resin.

Peter

GSteer

Registered
First Name
Greg
But you do for polyurethane / mixing wood and resin though I believe? At least as far as I could tell. The long term intention would be to make blanks that could be threaded (sleeving wood ones etc), everything I've read so far says to stay away from polyester for that.

sfurini

Graduate Member
First Name
Stewart
I've used the opaque alumilite from metalclay.co.uk without pressure and polyurethane resin from MBFibreglass, again without pressure. I haven't had any issues with blanks made in flat moulds but did get a big bubble in one blank when casting into a tube, which I think was my fault with pouring and not having the tube properly sealed.

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).