• Thanks for visiting The Penturners Forum today.

There are many features and resources that currently you are unable to see or access, either because you're not yet registered, or if you're already registered, because you're not logged in.

To gain full access to the forum, please log in or register now. Registration is completely free, it only takes a few seconds, and you can join our well established community of like-minded pen makers.

BMW Motorcycle Intarsia

Claymore

Apprentice Member
First Name
Brian
Hi,
Finally finished this motorcycle Intarsia :) its been hanging around for quite a few months and I have kept doing a bit inbetween doing my other Projects so I decided I had to finish it before starting on my next large project.
Its a BMW K100RT 1985 and I have had 4 of the real ones amongst my other bikes and love them. Its made from Oak/Beech/Walnut and finished with an Iroko seat and measures approx 15" x 13" and 1 1/2" and contains...... 250+ pieces :shock: hence reason its been a slow project lol.
Its also the first project to incorporate my first bit of woodturning, if you look closely the walnut forks and handlebars were turned on my micro Proxxon Lathe.... ok not exactly rocket science but I actually bought the lathe to make parts for a future bike project (Brough Superior SS100) which has lots of turned parts to make. I also included an old BMW badge off my bike and made an Oak frame for it. some of the parts are only 4mm x 2mm but the scroll saw is the ideal tool to do it, I have to hold the parts with my molegrips and this enables me to do the tiny work (try using some pliers or molegrips its quite easy and no chance of cutting your finger end)
Oh well hope you like it.
Cheers
Brian

Attachments

• BMW K100RT INTARSIA (Small).jpg
    BMW K100RT INTARSIA (Small).jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 43

Claymore

Apprentice Member
First Name
Brian
Cheers Jim and thanks for moving the post to the correct forum, I will try and do some more turning on the new lathe when i get the time as I tried it on this project and was hooked and wanted to make more parts for it lol, i have worked out what some of my different chisels do and have another project lined up which contains turned parts.

Cheers
Brian

Dalboy

Executive Member
First Name
Derek
That is one nice piece Brian. Did you do this from a pattern or was it one designed by yourself

Penpal

Grand Master
First Name
Peter
Brian I am not familiar with your model BMW but I believe if you showed that incredible work of art to BMW UK they would be as impressed as I am with the quality this is the second entry on the forum today that has me gobsmacked so far with two outstanding pens and the turning chisels. Indeed a red letter day for the forum.

Thank you so much for showing and sharing using an outstanding pic of your craftsmanship.

Peter.

Claymore

Apprentice Member
First Name
Brian
That is one nice piece Brian. Did you do this from a pattern or was it one designed by yourself

Cheers Derek, I make my own patterns for the bikes from photos, the patterns usually take a week or so to finish before I can start butchering wood. I use Photoshop and Coreldraw and basically convert the photos into line drawings and then any line on the drawing is actually a cut line hence lots of tiny parts. This particular bike was a challenge due to the strange angles on the fairing/luggage......with Intarsia the key is to set a maximum thickness like 2" and that would be the highest point on the bike (so if you reached out to touch the bike the first thing you could reach, hope that makes sense)
Glad you like it
Cheers
Brian

Warning! This thread has not had any replies for over a year. You are welcome to post a reply here, but it might be better to start a new thread (and maybe include a link to this one if you need to).